Chapter two

Tilt finally recovered his strength and was enough to stand and look at the dragon that had held him. He rubbed his eyes of the tears blurring his vision, and he came face to face with a grayish Rainwing. The Rainwing was giving him a smile that was beyond kindness, a smile that seemed to communicate emotions and understanding that words would fail to.

"Hi Tilt." The Rainwing that was now holding him at arm's length away. The Rainwing was a very well-built and muscular dragon. He was a little tall for the average Rainwing, but not unusually so. Tilt could also see the imprint of his head and horns on the Rainwings shoulders and neck.

"It's so good to see you, Apricot." Tilt whispered, his vocal cords giving out from crying. Tilt himself was a very small Rainwing. Although he was almost fully grown, he had only gotten to the size of a 6 year old. He was also very petite and narrow. His eyes were also set very far back in his head, which made the bags under his eyes look even bigger.

Apricot hugged him again, this time more gently. "I can not express how sorry I am for what has happened. She was an amazing queen and... and..."

Tilt whispered into his ear. "Thank you." He pulled out of the hug. Even in these circumstances, Tilt could not help but blush a little when looking at his husband. They had been together in secret for almost 4 years now.

Apricot blushed, too. "Now that... well... you mom is gone do you think I can...?"

Tilt knew exactly where this was going. It was not that same sex couples were illegal or even frowned upon, but it was a rule that any member of the royal family had to marry into nobility.

Tilt paused for a moment, trying to figure out how to break the news to Apricot. "I... It... You are a botanist. Even if she is now gone." He feels awful referring to his mom like this. "The others still would have us excommunicated." He starts to cry again. "I just can not do that. I just can't do it!" He shouts that last part, his voice breaking again. "Not to my siblings. Not after this."

Apricot flinches at the shouting, not expecting that kind of action to happen, but tries to comfort Tilt regardless. "It is ok. I get that you have to stay with your siblings. You love them, and that means something. And whether or not it is public or not, I would fly across the entire ocean if it meant I could see you." Apricot hugs Tilt again, and sultrily whispers. "And as a bonus, I think the secrecy is incredibly hot."

Tilt chocked out a laugh. "Cute man. But I agree, it is hot." Tilt was enjoying not having to think about his mom for the moment. He was still devastated, but the fact that he still had a ray of light in Apricot meant the world to him. "Apricot?"

"Yeah?"

"Have I told you that you are the world to me? And that I think about you every day?" He says earnestly. They embrace again. Tilt goes back to being gray and black. They just sit there in an embrace. A conversation that words would fail to express.

They were embarrassing when a royal servant tapped Tilt. "You are requested back at the royal treehouse. Your siblings are at the stage." He completely ignored Apricot. Tilt nodded to him and let go of Apricot. As Tilt looked Apricot in the eyes, he felt the world get ever so slightly warmer, the sun would still shine, and someone still wanted to see him in the morning. That was a feeling Tilt had thought he would never feel after he found his Mom dead. True love.

He wanted to express that he was feeling that to Apricot but as he was leaving all he could give his partner was a look of pure love and a mouthed "goodbye" as he couldn't get his voice to work.

Tilt got to the bottom of the stage where all his siblings were waiting. "Who was that?" His younger brother asked him.

"Ah, just a friend." Tilt lied, his voice sounding dryer than he wants it to.

His brother does not seem the most convinced, but he just nodded. "Ok, well, we are planning to have a meeting when we get home."

Tilt nodded as they all took off.