Conejo Village

Kiana's POV

Zara remained silent. She looked down at Jewel as she bandaged his injured wing.

'You want to know my story?' she scoffed. 'Keep dreaming, Kiki.'

'I told you mine, so I deserve to know yours.' I argued

'The only difference is that your "crime" is nothing compared to mine.' she responded. 'You let one person die because of you while I let a whole village fall.'

'What happened to Conejo Village Zara.' I repeated sternly

She drew in a shaky breath.

'I can't tell you because I can't afford to lose another sister.'

I felt my heart sink.

'Zara, c'mon...' I began, 'I promise not to break our bond after hearing your story. I swear on my bitchless cat whisperer brother's grave.'

I heard the wind whosh across us, and it almost sounded like someone was gasping dramatically.

Zara's POV

I looked down at Jewel and then up at Kiana.

'You want to know my story? Well, here it is.'

***Flashback***

Eight Years Ago

I was about twelve at the time. The youngest daughter of the chief of Conejo Village. I wasn't like the people of my village. I was adventurous; I'd go exploring beyond the borders of the village and, above all...I trusted foxes. That was something big in my village. We were taught to be wary of them. Village elders said that they were monstrous beasts who'd killed many of our people. I personally think that was a bunch of baloney. Foxes can't be that bad, right? I was sneaking off again into a creek beyond the village and heard rustling. I peeked from a bush to see a boy my age. He had red eyes and was a bit taller than me. He also had ginger hair and...a pair of fox ears. My eyes widened as I let out a little gasp, causing him to turn.

'Who's there?' he said, looking around.

'Hiya!' I said in excitement as I came out of my hiding spot. 'I'm Zara! What's your name? Whoa, you're a fox!? That's so cool!'

I bounced around him in excitement and wonder. I'd never seen a fox up close, and today, I'm lucky enough to do that.

'My name is Seiich.' he said, looking at me.

'Nice to meet you!' I said, grinning and extending my hand to shake his hand

He carefully shook my hand. We started talking for a while, which felt like minutes, even though it had become sundown.

'Oh, crud! I need to go home before Baba realizes I'm not home.'

'You have to go?' he said with his ears lowering

'Sorry Seiich...but we can meet here again tomorrow! Same spot!'

'O-Ok!'

I looked left and right before entering our family hut. It was completely silent, and it seemed like everyone was asleep. I let out a sigh of relief.

'Zara, where have you been?' I heard a stern voice say from behind me

I froze and turned around nervously to meet my big sister's eyes. Tara glared at me disapprovingly with her violet hair pinned back. Her bunny ears were erect, and I could tell she was upset with me.

'I-I was out.'

'Define out.'

'Tara, please don't tell Baba and Mama I was out!' I begged, and she sighed