Five

DONT EAT THE SOUP!

Maisie's words resounded throughout the packed canteen.

It was a mistake, she should've just let them eat the human leg. She'd been ostracized as it was, and she hadn't minded it, not really. But that wasn't the point, the strange bullying tactics weren't what made her regret it.

With Jude's blood covered all over her, she was bound to be thoroughly questioned by the police. But the cops were really just staff and their family members that were off duty.

Jude was still breathing when Duval's paramedics arrived. But shortly after, he'd stopped. Soon pronounced dead.

There was something corrupt about this school, two students had been murdered. Yet it was treated like an elaborate prank. No real, unbiased cops were called in. No in depth investigation, it seemed like that was her job.

The actual issue was that now everyone was being sent home, and Maisie didn't have one. Not anymore.

Noah wouldn't leave her side, he'd said that Headmaster Duval was the one who assigned him to her. So, he was aware about the investigation going on.

Maisie shut her door. 'You don't have to stick to me like a leech, you know.'

'Like I said, you're my responsibility. And we've only a couple hours left till dismissal.'

Maisie frowned. 'Don't remind me.'

'Why? Haven't you packed your things?'

'That's not it.'

'Then what is it?'

Nico appeared from behind him. Placing a firm hand on his brother's shoulder. 'And you're supposed to be the smarter half,' he taunted. Then Nico looked to her. 'Come stay with me, Mai.'

Noah shook him off. 'With us,' he corrected dryly.

Nico threw Maisie a look over Noah's shoulder that expressed playful annoyance towards his twin, it made her want to smile.

But she frowned instead. 'I can't...'

'Oh, come on. Ivan's already staying with me during break. Saffron and Sawyer with Noah. Now that means I'm permitted two guests, it's only fair. And you see, I only have one.'

As much as Maisie wanted to deny him,—since she hated taking help from others—it wouldn't be wise to. Between being homeless for an entire week, or swallowing up her pride, she chose the latter.

'Fine.'

Nico smiled.

Noah suppressed one.

A disembodied voice, who was apparently eavesdropping, popped in. 'No, she can't.' Saffron appeared at the end of the hallway.

'Saffron, let's talk about—'

She advanced. 'No, Noah. She's not staying with us. Not after everything.' She turned to Nico. 'I thought we were all on the same page.'

Nico held up his hands in mock surrender. 'What page was that?' he said, confused.

Maisie grew irritated, walking toward Saf, what was her deal? 'I'm right here, Agnelli. Tell me, what have I done to you other than not say goodbye?'