How To Draw Book Covers

I always like buying books with pretty book covers. Do you too?

So, naturally when I write stories or books, I draw the covers (most of the time) myself.

Do you want to do that too/want to learn more about it?

Then here's my routine and some tips.

1.) Figuring it out.

First, you should figure out what your book/story/narration etc. is about.

Look for key scenes, objects etcetera that you might use.

My book covers mostly represent used objects, the scenery/vibes or even a name of a character.

Example.: does your character have something to do with butterflies? Add a butterfly.

2.) Know what's good on the "market"

Whether you sell or just publish your book, you want to have some sort of eye catcher as a cover. Know what you specifically like or what kind of images are currently used on book covers. Look on Google, other publishing platforms or in your local book store.

3.) The essentials

Know what you want to use for creating the book cover.

I like to use three apps in particular.

- 1) IbisPaint X :

it's a (free) drawing app for your tablet/phone, you can draw, import materials, sketch and use their uploaded stamps.

I like using it, it's a 4/5 for me.

- 2) Book Covers app :

This app allows you to upload an already created image and use their many fonts and creative modes to make your book cover title stick out.

It's a 5/5 for me.

- 3) Dream :

Ever went on Google/Pinterest and you didn't get the image you wanted?

Dream is an AI app where you can type in prompts and it gives you artificially generated pictures in different styles.

It's a 3/5 for me.

(I'm not sponsored for promotion of these apps)

4.) Get creative

For some, the act of getting started is the hardest, maybe you don't know where to start.

Start with a quick sketch, it can be on paper first, it can be messy.

Use layer tools, like in IbisPaint X, to draw over that sketch.

Look for art tutorials, TikTok and Instagram are full of creators.

Also, remember, your first book cover doesn't have to be your final.

I create book covers for my stories twice because I am not satisfied.

I will do a step-by-step guide in the next "chapters" of this blog, if you however want me to do something in particular, let me know.