3: Quidditch, Torture, & Possibly A Seer

I stood in the dark, listening to myself panting. I looked around frantically, but it was too dark. Suddenly, my ears were alerted by the strike of a match. I looked around the now dimly lit room to a door. A man stood there, holding a candle. He had a terribly awful patchiness to him.

"You're little friends can't help you if they can't find you." he said, his accent cutting through like he were in an Old Western.

I glanced down my face and saw I was gagged. My hair, wavy and brown, over my chest. I was Riley.

I came back to the present falling on my butt. Lorcan hurried forward to help me up. I grabbed his forearms and stared into his soul.

"Riley's been taken!"

Lorcan leaned forward, "You know this how?"

I swallowed harshly, "I saw it!"

Charlie placed his hand on his chin, "A vision of the present. Interesting."

I looked at Charlie, "Interesting? This is a clue to where Riley could be, and all you say is interesting!"

Charlie ignored me, turning on his heel and wandering down the hall. What a strange boy. I watched him until my eyes strayed to the left. A wand was lying on a high ledge. I stood up and walked up to the wall.

I shifted my hand at my side and said, a bit commandingly, "Lorcan. Boost."

I felt my brother hurry down to the floor. I placed a hand on Lorcan's shoulder and stepped up on his knee. Reaching out my hand to the ledge, I grabbed the wand and jumped down. I examined it quickly.

"It's Riley's." I told Lorcan and Rebecca.

Lorcan looked around himself, "Did you notice what corridor we're in, or am I asking a dumb question?"

I furrowed my brow as I looked around. I hadn't given a thought to where we were before, because I'd been searching for Riley. Now that I'd taken time to look around the lump from last night reformed in my throat.

Riley was looking for the corridor again.

I sat in the locker rooms, nervous about Riley, while Bailey gave her before-game spiel. I couldn't stop thinking about the vision I'd seen.

"Lysander. Earth to Lysander!" I heard.

Looking up, I saw Bailey looking at me, waiting, "Hm?"

"We got unexpected rain. Are you going to get your gear?" she explained rapidly.

I suddenly heard the rain drumming on the roof. Standing up, I nodded and went to get my rain apparel.

We stood on the platform, waiting to fly out, as I heard that man's voice again.

"Is yer fault, ya know." his drawl exploded in my ear canal.

I gasped and looked up to make eye contact across the stadium with the patchy man. My stare was broken by that loud whistle I knew all too well and everyone hopped on their brooms.

I flew out onto the field, looking for the man again, but he was gone. I flew to the center and waiting for Madam Hooch's begin. I made eye contact with Erika. She smiled at me, innocently. I nodded in response. Madam Hooch, with her old frame, hobbled onto the field; chest of bludgers in hand and quaffle under arm.

She looked up at us, "Remember, players! Play fair and you won't be penalized!" she had some other words in her spiel, but after playing the game for six years, I knew it by heart.

Her whistle blew as she threw the quaffle in the air and kicked open the chest. I turned on my broom and hurried to the goals. Turning in the air, I watched everyone chasing after each other.

"The game is afoot!" Hugo announced, "Erika Scamander is in possession of the quaffle! And, might I say, it doesn't look like she's letting it go anytime soon!"

I watched as the quaffle pivoted from chaser to chaser before eventually it made it back to Erika and she threw it in my direction. I dove towards it, ready to block it, but suddenly my vision was interrupted by another vision.

I struck Riley across the back with my wand. A long stretch of blood could be seen from her left shoulder to her right hip.

KATHWACK!!!

My broom spun me out of control from the quaffle's impact; knocking me into the goalposts. I felt the impact on the back of my head and then I started plummeting to the ground.

"You think he'll be alright?" I heard Rebecca inquire.

"Of course, he will." Lorcan assured her, "He hit his head on a metal pole. Not his worst injury."

I felt a hand on mine and just knew it was Lily's. I opened my eyes and immediately saw Lily in her half-dry quidditch attire. She gave me a relieved look when she saw me awake.

"I was so worried!" she said, pulling me into a hug, "What happened out there?"

I looked at Lorcan and Rebecca, "He's torturing her."

Lily scooted over to look me in the eye, "He? Her? Torturing? Is that what distracted you up there, Ly?" her voice sounded so shaky, it almost made me tear up.

I slowly nodded, "Riley's been kidnapped after I had a vision, and we think it has something to do with that damn hall."

Lily pulled on my earlobe, "Back your arse up!" she said, "You found out she was kidnapped with a vision?"

I looked at her with confusion, "Yeah, so?"

Lorcan proceeded to speak up, "It is quite strange for wizards."

Lily nodded in agreement, "I brushed it aside last year, cause Lorcan is your brother, but-"

"But what?" I asked, "What is up?"

"Ly, have you ever thought about the possibility that you're a seer?" Rebecca asked for everyone.

I scrunched my nose in more confusion at Rebecca. I couldn't be a seer.

"I don't see the future." I explained, "That's what seers do!"

"You could." Charlie said from the back of the group, "You just haven't."

I stared at him, my blood boiling. This guy was so infuriating. I wished he'd never spoken up. My face wouldn't be feeling red hot right now if he hadn't.