Chapter 5: Play your cards right♥

Two Scoops is full of sounds: chatter, laughter, orders, ice cream hitting the bullseye. So far I have 675 points. It’s another hot day, and everyone wants ice cream, so me and Jake are rushed off our feet. After a while I let him take over with the scooping, and take my post by the Mr Whippy and milkshake machine.

I’m not pleased with the chaos. These past few days it’s been quiet, so me and Jake have been hanging around with only each other for company. The more I get to know him the more I like him: he’s funny and easy going. To my surprise I found he liked playing cards as much as I do, so we’ve been playing rummy almost non-stop. Unfortunately, he’s ten times better at it than me.

I stare at the cards he lay down on the table between us, utterly confused. We literally only just started playing.

“Are you cheating?” I ask, for what must be the twentieth time.

“Nope, just extremely lucky,” He grins, sliding the cards into a pile. “Another game?”

“Maybe later. I should probably actually start doing my job,” I reply, scanning the tables. Everyone seems okay, but we’re running out of vanilla ice cream and I should really get some more. But I hate the freezer: it’s dark and cold and the door handle sticks in a way that makes me worried. I head through the door marked “STAFF ONLY” and down the corridor to the freezer. Propping the door open with a ‘caution wet floor’ sign I grab the ice cream. When I get back I pick up the old carton and attempt to slot the new one in. I say attempt – trying to balance two huge cartons (one filled with ice cream) is hard work.

“Here, let me,” Jake says, taking the heavy tub and sliding it into place. I thank him, standing back to let him have clearer access.

“What are you up to this weekend?” He looks up, surprise crossing his face.

“Um. Not loads. Why?” I think he’s trying to sound nonchalant, but shock is colouring his tone. I wonder if I’ve taken our kind-of-friendship too far. We’ve only seen each other in work and at a family BBQ. Regardless, I plough on.

“Well, me and my friends are going to Blackpool. Have you ever been?” I ask. He shakes his head.

“Nah, isn’t that the one with the theme park?”

“Pleasure beach. But I hate coasters, so we normally go for the water park. And fish and chips.” I say normally, me and my friends have been going Blackpool every summer since I can remember. It started off as a day trip with my parents and Lucas and Piper, but the last two years we’ve been going alone, along with Matty and Halle. It’s always fun, if you ignore the fact we need to be up at seven to catch the train.

“Oh right, I’m not a fan of coasters either. Are you, urm, asking me to come with you guys?”  He seems nervous, like I’m pulling a trick on him.

“Yeah. You want to come right? I mean, you don’t have to if you don’t want to-”

“No! I’d love too!” He smiles, and I smile back. The moment is interrupted by a guy whose probably been standing waiting to be served for a while.

The rest of the afternoon follows in the same pattern: dropping ice cream, rummy in quiet moments, passing on information about the planned trip. It’s only when I’m riding the bus home that I realise I haven’t asked the rest of the guys. Luckily it’s movie Thursday. It sounds like a tradition, but really it only ever happens once every blue moon: the rest of the gang show up at mine and Charlie’s, argue about DVD choices, eat all our food and then leave. At seven Piper and Halle arrive with Harry Potter DVD’s and popcorn.

“I thought the whole point of movie Thursdays were that we watch film’s none of us have seen before!” I point out, scanning the familiar backs of the film jackets.

“But it’s Harry.” Halle says matter of factly. With such skilled reasoning and persuasive language, I can only put the disc into the Xbox and wait for the others to arrive. Five minutes later the others turn up, Lucas holding a pizza and Matty…wearing heels?

He teeters down the stairs, missing a step halfway, and regaining composure quickly proceeds to trip gracefully down the remaining stairs, landing in a heap on the carpeted floor.

There’s some awkward gaze-averting as Matty tries to stand with as much dignity a fifteen year old boy in four-inch heels can muster. He finally makes it upright, and staggers over to the couch.

“Hey guys. What film are we watching?”

“Matty, are you aware you’re wearing heels?” I say, because I feel someone should. He looks at his feet and does a double take, mouth gaping open, waving his arms like he’s trying to achieve lift off.

“No, Autumn, I was not aware of that. Why did no one tell me? I thought walking down the stairs – in fact, walking altogether – was a bit difficult. It never occurred to me I could be wearing heels.” He replies, voice dripping sarcasm. “If you must know, my sister has paid me £20 to ‘break in’ her new shoes. If by break in she means damage my feet permanently and bleed all over the soles then I think I’m doing a great job. So, what film?”

This clears things up. Compared to a lot of things Matty’s done, this is almost sane, or at least has a reason behind it other than the reason that Matty is a tit.

“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, one AND two!” Halle says triumphantly, taking the pizza from Lucas, who is staring at the shoes.

“Does it feel weird?” He asks.

“Kind of, like I’m walking on stilts, but feet stilts.”

“Stilts do go on your feet.” Charlie chips in, reaching for a slice as I press play.

“Yeah, but like half stilts only on the back of your feet. But at least if I get attacked I can stab someone with the pointy bit.” Matty adds.

“How can something be half stilts? And you’d never get the shoe off quick enough-”

“SHhhhHhhhhhHhh!” Halle yell-whispers, making a shushing gesture. Only now do I remember my news.

“Oh guys!” I say, which brings another round of shushing. I press pause, which means I get a big glare from Halle.

“You know the trip to Blackpool this weekend?”

“I may have been aware of it," Charlie drones, raising his eyebrows as a signal for me to get to the point. I narrow my eyes at him, pursing my lips in exaggerated annoyance.

“Shut up. Anyway, I asked Jake if he’d like to come with. Any objections?” I say. They exchange glances.

“I don’t mind. He seems alright.” Piper says, and Charlie nods.

“Yeah,” the others chime in, but Lucas is looking a bit unsure. Halle hits play, and I’m surprised by how chilled they were. I slide over near to where Lucas sits, grabbing a slice of pizza. It’s dotted with pieces of pineapple and ham, and smells amazing.

“You okay with Jake coming?” I ask him through a mouthful of pizza as Scrimgeour addressed the wizarding community onscreen.  

“Yeah. It’s just going to be weird with another person there; it’s normally just the six of us.” He replies, focusing on his pizza. I remember how shy Lucas is. He’s probably just worried about the whole speaking to new people thing.

“Don’t worry, Jake is really nice.” I say, settling down beside him on the rug.

“Well, we all know you think that,” He sighs. He says it softly enough but there’s a tint of something to his voice though: closer to envy than anger. I just take another slice and concentrate on the film, leaving Lucas to whatever is going on in his head.