Chapter 5: Soph

Chapter 5: Soph

"You ever had sex like that before?" I asked Ed outright afterwards.

We were spooning under the covers, breaths in sync, hearts beating together.

A tiny sigh of laughter pushed past his lips and warmed the back of my neck.

"Not since my first time probably."

I smiled. "Funny. It felt a lot like losing my virginity."

"Really?"

"Yeah. So different to what I'm used to with you. It made me feel inexperienced all over again."

His fingers traced patterns across my stomach. "Slow and romantic isn't really my style either, so you don't need to worry. I'll fuck your brains out again tomorrow night."

I bit my lip to stifle my laugh. "I'm not worrying. I liked it. It was nice."

"Eurgh." He nuzzled his face into my neck. "Nice? That's hardly a glowing review."

"Didn't think it was supposed to be about glowing reviews. Thought it was supposed to be about love and romance."

"It is, but I still like glowing reviews."

Grinning, I twisted in his arms to face him. His eyes sparkled with humour, so clearly he wasn't actually offended.

"I love you. Only you. Nobody has ever made me feel this way," I said.

The sparkle slowly faded, and a tightness formed in his jaw. "You don't have to say that just to reassure me, Soph."

"I'm not."

"Because I appreciate the sentiment, and I do believe you feel that way for me, but you thought you were going to marry Mike."

I arched a brow. "What, you want me to propose?"

With a roll of his eyes, he squeezed my hip. "I'm being serious."

"Yes, I thought I was going to marry Mike. But we were together for several years and he was my first long-term boyfriend. That was just a natural assumption on my part. With you, I have more experiences to draw from. I know what's real. You're my best friend and I love you. I know I don't show it often enough, but that's only because I've never felt like this before and it still scares me a little."

The vulnerable confession had my heart thumping, and with our naked chests crushed together, he'd probably be able to feel every single beat. Each one for him.

"You do show it, Soph. You're far more in control of your emotions than I am. It's not a bad thing."

"Was it about the ring?" I asked, before I could second guess.

Ed opened his mouth to respond, but hesitation ghosted through his eyes.

"Because I took off Mike's ring and replaced it with yours?"

A resigned sigh. "I mean, yeah. Partly. But I know you wearing Mike's ring didn't mean anything romantic. It was just the symbolism of you taking off his and putting on mine. I'm sorry."

I frowned. "Why are you apologising?"

"Is it a bit possessive of me?"

Amusement bubbled up my throat. "That you're happy I'm no longer wearing my ex's ring? I'd say that's completely rational."

"No, I know, but... I don't know, Soph. I still struggle sometimes. You're sacrificing a lot for me. There are plenty of other guys who come with far less baggage."