Chapter 5: Shift By Smoke

Niangzi walks across a narrow hallway, footsteps echoing to the end of it. A tile drops beneath her foot.

*Click*

Arrows shoot from inside a wall, aiming for the opposing side. The Bone Queen summons a shield blocking each one, she runs through the hallway and is halted halfway as something glitches in front of her. She is almost pushed to the side as the arrows fire toward her.

The glitch forms into a figure who lights up at the sight of her, "*GASP!* BONE QUEEN! It worked!" Niangzi pushes her shield forward as she attempts to speak, "H-Hello, Bai He. I see you've learnt Astral Projection?" Bai nods, "Uhuh! And I only got around 5 nose bleeds!" Bai continues, "Sooo, how's the lil trip? How are you? I really missed-" "Look, now is not the best time." Niangzi strains.

Bai sighs, "I know, it's just, you've been gone for a while and my training is..." Niangzi interrupts once again, "Ah, yes, you're training! I'll need you to work on that for a little while longer. Remember, 'trust your gut' as your age says." Bai groans, "But I've done basically everything you sent me!" Niangzi sighs, "You should have something! Um, how about managing your clones?" Bai yells, "I did that yesterday! They're working with Zhu-Zhu right now!"

"For goodness sake." Niangzi cusses to herself. Bai keeps whining, "C'mon! You gotta have something new!" Niangzi ponders as she fights for her life, "Have you... done teleportation? Without the Scythe?" "Without!? ... Nope." Bai shakes her head.

Niangzi grins, "Then there! Try learning that without using your Scythe, okay?" Bai scratches her head, "Alright, um. You got any tips?" Niangzi sighs, "Just imagine where you need to go, and- Repeat it in your head! I have to go now! GOODBYE!" She runs past Bai's projection, out of the hallway. She drops to the floor, taking a heavy sigh before picking herself up again.

She stood in a dimly lit temple, a giant set of stairs leading up to a wall painting with a golden demon on it. She walks up each step closer to the artwork, her eyes follow each detail put in it. "So, what are you hiding?" Niangzi clenches a fist, lunging straight forward and punching the centre of the artwork, and the wall cracks open into a hole. All candles are snuffed out, the room turns pitch black.

Tang stands before the holographic mech display, Ganglie is beside his left, the three lackeys on the right. Jing groans, "I don't know who taught you how to take revenge, 'Mr. Tang.' But it's not usually this boring, ya' know." Tang keeps no eye contact with her, "We must have patience, there are still three more items to add to the furnace."

Jing continues to complain, "That's what you've been saying. Why not try snatching these now?" "Enough from you! It's getting on my nerves." Ganglie snaps at Jing. She pouts as she trots away from the others, Boqin follows her to pull her aside. "Jing you have to cut that out." Jing scoffs, "This Tang guy is on MY nerves. Acting all mysterious and shit. He turned Ganglie into a lap hog."

Boqin grips her shoulders tight, "Jing, listen to me. I saw something in that mirror. Whatever 'Tang' is... We can't risk getting on his bad side. I am begging you, for your sake and mine. Be careful." Jing's expression softens, "*Sigh* Alright..."

"Just imagine where you need to go, and- Repeat it in your head!"

"Hm." Bai paced in the dock, looping in circles as the others watched, Lin nudged Red, "Is Bai good?" "I don't fucking know." Bai mumbled to herself, "Think of where to go... and repeat that back and forth... So, like with the Scythe but, without it this time..."

Chang'e taps Bai's shoulder, "Bai? Are you sure you're alright?" Bai sighs, "Not really. I gotta learn how to teleport but without the Scythe! And my brain is stumped!" Chang'e pats her back, "There, there. Did Niangzi give you any advice?" Bai nods, "In a way, yeah. She just said to think about a spot, repeat that spot in your head and then poof, you're there."