Chapter Twenty-One

The months passed. November gone, December gone, January gone. Valentine's Day was in just a week. Over the past three months I've broken the hearts of about twelve guys, and other girls started doing it too around December.
Alex keeps trying to warn me to stop, when he's not enjoying my wardrobe. How is it his business what I do? Or how I dress? Or who my friends are? The answer is simple. It isn't his business.
The more word spreads around about me the even more popular I become, the only person that's more popular than me is Gia, even her not by much.
I never realized how truly dumb guys are. You would think they would catch on to my plans and start avoiding me, or any other girls that were doing it too. But no, they are like flies to light, they just keep coming back for more.
I had my eyes peeled. This was an important choice, this boy would be for Valentine's Day. I scanned the crowd on my way to Spanish. Eventually, I got to class and sat down. I was going through the mental list of possibilities I came up with when Alex plopped down next to me, jerking me out of my thoughts.
"Hey," he said and immediately surveyed my outfit. It was like this everyday. Greeting, check me out, get to work. I never said anything back to him, and I don't know what made me do it this time, but next I knew I heard myself say
"Hey," a simple gesture, overlooked by most, but Alex saw this as some sort of accomplishment and looked as if he just won the freakin' Nobel Peace Prize.
"Hey girl," Winter said as I met her in math later on.
"Hey, later I'm hanging out with my girls, but tomorrow I'm totally free to pick up the dresses. Wait, I meant Friday! Yeah, Friday, I promise this time." I swore. I had already changed the date several times, everybody was getting pissed at me.
"You sure this time?" Winter asked, raising an eyebrow.
"Yes," I quickly said before the teacher called class to order.
Instead of listening to the teacher going on about the romantic side of variables, I was wondering what Gia wanted to ask me tonight. Possibilities danced across my mind, each one wilder and wilder than the last.
I raced out of school and straight to Gia's house as soon as the bell ran. I unlocked the tunnel entrance door and let myself in.
"Summer! I'm so glad you're here! I've been waiting for you!" She yelled.
"Hey G." I said, eagerly waiting for her to tell me what was so urgent.
"Alright let's get down to business. You are not above me. I rule the school and every idiot in it. Not you. I don't care if you're second, but when you decide you wanna be the new Queen Bee, then we have a problem. We don't want to have a problem do we?" She started, her tone real slow. I shook my head to answer her question, and backed up a little, but nothing slipped past her.
"Why are you backing up? Is the little slut afraid? Because she damn well should be." I looked at her.
"Are you confused? Don't pretend. You're a slut, you're an ugly little slut. I'm the Queen Bee around here. I can't allow myself to be overthrown by a fat size 5, now can I?" She hissed. I felt tears forming in my eyes.
"That's right, cry like the baby you are, because you know it's true. You're nothing more than an ugly, fat slut." I tasted the saltiness. I tried to turn away from facing her. She was right. I was nothing more than a slut, look what I had been doing to these boys. I was fat, a freaking size 5. And as for ugly, the amount of makeup I wore probably weighed as much as my dog.
I turned and ran out the door with my makeup smudging every time I tried to wipe the tears.
"I'm glad we understand where you stand, now." She called to my retreating back.
I kept running. Not to home, to my hideout. To my safe place.