Snow

It was snowing. 

This wasn't any kind of a new sight for Nobara. It had snowed in her hometown, though that always resulted in more soggy boots and shoveling than she preferred to dwell on. Despite that, the snow had always been fun. Always a reminder that things are changing and that she was going to get to higher places than the snowy paths of her hometown. 

The snow on the school grounds was lesser than she was used to, and for that she smirked to herself as she'd already avoided one of the worst problems snow brought. A few more layers would be enough and nothing she wore would be ruined by the snow. Gloves pulled on and an extra comfortable long sleeve underneath her school clothes, she 

Almost content that she'd seized the day, she started out, hardly in the snow before a snowball hit the left side of her face. 

"Shit- Sorry Nobara! I wasn't aiming for your face!" Yuuji called to her.

She wasn't surprised to see Inumaki and Panda following his antics, both looking ruffled as well making it clear the three had brought their snowball fight to her for some damn reason. And that snowball to the face hurt. But surely something so mere wouldn't make her stoop to their level? 

Maybe not- but she was confident she'd still beat them at this even if it was stooping to such a level.

"Why were you aiming in the first place, idiot?!" She called back, not waiting for an answer before she grabbed a fistfull of snow and hauled it back at the pink haired boy. 

This had a domino effect, as now she was indeed included in their snowball fight, even as the snow around them dispersed from all their movements. The city snow was pretty different from the type she was used to, but nonetheless she did make use of it. By the end, Yuuji was still shaking off snow, Panda was leaving for a snack, Inumaki had gone somewhere more warm than here, and Nobara was just freezing her ass off.

"This means I won," Nobara said smugly, even as the snow's coldness easily made her shiver.

"But I got more hits than you!" Yuuji insisted, not looking much better in terms of warmness.

"More hits overall, you mean. I got more hits on you though, so it's safe to say I win," The orang haired girl's logic made the other pout and attempt to throw more misshapen snowballs at her, which she dodged just in time.

"Yuuji? Nobara? What.." Both perked up from their fight as Megumi's voice sounded. Maki came after him  looking at the scene with an amusement twinkling in her eyes.

"Snowball fight," They answered in tandem.

"Get inside before you guys catch something then," Megumi said with a sigh. Yuuji was quick to follow the other's advice, pulling him along as they headed back to the dorms. Both her and Maki followed after them with a shake of their heads.

The fact that both boys were so oblivious was irritating at best. 

"Your jacket's soaked," Maki commented, and Nobara nodded with a shiver. Walking only made the melting snow seep further. Uncomfortable was the least descriptive word.

"Yeah, we kinda went overboard. But I won, so definitely worth it," Nobara said, and Maki gave her a smile that made her heart flutter. Maybe it was the cold? Yep, it had to be, because that's easier to admit than having a crush on an upperclassman.

They reached Nobara's dorm room, and Maki opened the door for her. If it weren't for the cold, Nobara didn't know how she'd explain the flush on her face. 

"Gah it's freezing! Never doing that in simple winter clothes again," Nobara mumbled, desperate to keep her mind off Maki, even though said girl was at her door. 

"Here then," Nobara looked back at Maki as she said this, surprised and flustered to see the other taking off her jacket. 

"It's better insulated than yours, just keep it for now," Maki insisted, and Nobara couldn't find her words in time before her brain already decided yes to the jacket. Was she imagining it, or was that a blush on the other's face as well? Her eyes averted Nobara's, which only sent her heart racing further as her hopes rose against her conscious effort.

"Thanks, Maki-senpai! I'll give it back soon, so don't worry!" 

Byes were exchanged and the door was closed, leaving a very cold, very flustered Nobara who clutched Maki's jacket like a lifeline. 

A rushed warm shower later, Nobara found herself wearing said jacket, wishing she was only focused on how it was indeed insulated better. But no, it also smelled like Maki, and that was very distracting. Not that Nobara was focusing on that at all.

Little did the orange haired girl know, in Maki's dorm room was the older with her head in her hands, her face red with a blush. The jacket had been a last second decision even though she'd been pondering on offering. But it was so much more embarrassing to actually go through with it. It meant Nobara was wearing her jacket after all.

Ask them about this and why Nobara was wearing Maki's jacket when she left her dorm, and both would most likely punch you first before denying it, but the two were so obviously pining after one another. The snow and the jacket just gave them space to make a move, and yet it still hadn't been enough.

But it would snow again. Things would change, and neither of the girls were the type to hold back on confessing for long anyway.