Chapter 9

From the moment Jackson had stepped foot inside the bar, his wolf had started going crazy. He was hit with an overwhelming scent of fresh mint, like it had just been watered by morning dew. It was overwhelming in a good way, and he knew instinctually that his mate was nearby, and he could barely contain himself. His eyes scanned the full room, looking at everyone trying to find the one who was destined by the Moon Goddess to be his. And then, he saw her. She was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. Her blond hair bounced around her round face, her sparkling eyes shining. He had finally found his mate.

Even in the dimly lit bar, he could see into her blue eyes that held a depth to them, and for a moment he was lost and couldn't stop himself from walking directly toward her. He had almost reached her table when her full scent hit him, and there was something in it that confused him. Like a chemical component that seemed artificial. His wolf recognized hers immediately, but it almost felt as if her wolf was somehow blocked, or hidden. He could tell by looking into her eyes again, that her wolf was not the one looking back at him.

It was then that he saw the man that was with her, who at that moment was putting his arm across her shoulders. Jackson's wolf gave an involuntary growl, at which point Jackson could feel the hands of his Alpha pulling him away and directing him toward a few vacant chairs at the bar.

Who is that? Jackson felt the question in his mind, coming from Dante, his Alpha, coming through their mind-link.

She is my mate – I mean, I think she is. I know she is, but something's wrong, Jackson responded to Dante, a note of panic in his tone.

I can smell it, like there's drugs in her system or something, but not quite. Dante said, while also getting the attention of the bar tender to order drinks.

It's like her wolf is somehow hidden or repressed Jackson said, shaking his head in confusion.

How do you want to handle this? Dante asked. It doesn't seem like she knows you're her mate. She's obviously noticed you, but I've never seen a she-wolf so unaffected by her mate's presence before.

I might start by ripping that guys arms off Jackson said, allowing his wolf's possessiveness to surface.

Dante smirked, knowing that Jackson would never hurt an innocent human, but also appreciating the possessiveness of a wolf who has just found his mate. He then sighed a little, whishing he would find his own mate someday soon.

You've got to try to stop staring, you're going to freak her out Dante warned.

I don't think her wolf is fully there Jackson finally said, after a long time of unsuccessfully trying not to stare. Every time she looks at me, I can feel her wolf, but it's like she isn't there when I look in her eyes.

I don't know what could make that happen Dante said. But if you're right, and somehow her wolf has never surfaced, you need to tread lightly. If she's been raised as a human, and maybe knows nothing about us, and you can't just walk up to her and claim her as your mate. This will have to be a process, and you'll...

She's in a wheelchair? Jackson interrupted, again confusion his primary emotion, right behind sadness and jealously at not being able to claim his mate right then and there. How can that be, if she's a wolf? Have you ever heard of that? Wolves heal too quickly... I'm so confused...

We'll figure it out, but we do need to be methodical and careful. A mate from a human world comes with difficulties and it won't be easy. Dante said.

I think she's getting ready to leave. I'm going to follow her home, Jackson said.

Please be careful Dante insisted with a groan. If you do anything to interfere with Peter's wedding tomorrow, I'm going to demote you from Beta and promote him.

I won't mess up the wedding Jackson said with annoyance. But I'm not going to let her out of my sight until I've got a plan. Especially not with that guy throwing himself at her. Looks like they're all leaving together. What if she's going home with him?

Go calm down outside Dante instructed Jackson firmly. He had seen his fair share of wolves lose their composure and control, when their mate was involved with other males. It rarely ended well, and he wasn't about to let his Beta and best friend do something foolish just because his wolf couldn't stand the sight of another man being friends with his mate. I'll pay the bill and meet you outside and we'll make a plan.

Jackson quickly got up and left the bar before Evelyn had gotten close, but he was still able to smell her and it took great effort on his part to walk away. He and his wolf both yearned to pull her into his arms. He wanted nothing more at that moment than to look into her eyes and hold her tight.

Jackson watched from a distance as Evelyn said goodbye to her friends, and with his werewolf hearing he was able to easily hear everything they were saying. He was both glad and upset to hear that she would be at the wedding the next day. It was good, because then he could be near her and still attend the wedding, but he was also a little nervous about keeping his wolf under control and not doing something that might cause any kind of disruption to the next day's nuptials.

Jackson sighed with relief when he could hear Evelyn decline Chris' offer to take her home, but then was equally upset when he saw Chris lean in to give Evelyn a hug, and he was barely able to stifle his wolf's grumbling to less than a full growl. He watched Evelyn expertly handle herself and her wheelchair as she got into her vehicle. Once joined by Dante, they discreetly followed to see where she called home.

Jackson's heart filled with pride and excitement over having found his mate and he couldn't wait to actually meet her. The sound of her voice thrilled him, her scent intoxicated him, even with the chemical component that seemed present and she was more beautiful than he could have imagined. Her plump figure with beautiful curves enticed him. He wanted nothing more than to touch her soft pale skin and run his fingers through her beautiful curls that framed her angelic face. He found it hard to think straight about anything, least of all how he was going to introduce himself and eventually tell her about wolves and somehow convince her, that she herself was one.