𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 22: 𝓗𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓽𝓫𝓻𝓸𝓴𝓮𝓷

Just when Sophie was about to let go and let the sword pierce right through her, she saw Keefe running towards her in the reflection of her sword. He was coming to help her!

She thought. Wrongly.

Time seemed to go in slo-mo in that moment, Keefe was about to reach her, and something was thrown into his hand, a dagger. Sophie looked into his eyes, and gasped when she saw a blood red anger in them. He charged at her with the blade and Sophie's heart stopped in fear.

During this moment a blurry shape jumped out behind her as Keefe charged into them. Sophie looked back at Julie and with all her might, she fell onto her back and kicked Julie in the stomach. A surprised expression showed on Julie's face as she stumbled back in pain. Sophie took that opportunity to grab the dagger Julie dropped and looked back at Keefe. There was a figure on the ground, lying in a pull of blood. Sophie kneeled down next to them and rolled them onto their back and moved the hair away from their face.

Sophie froze.

It was Dex.

It was Dex. With a dagger pierced through his stomach.

Lady Gisela looked overs Sophie's shoulder, looking white in shock when she saw Dex.

"Too far" she whispered to herself, and she grabbed Elwin and herself and disappeared with the crystal.

"DEX" Sophie screamed shaking him. "DEX WAKE UP TALK TO ME" Tears fell down her face rapidly and she shook almost as much as she was shaking him. Keefe stood back and blinked, his eyes turning blue again. He gasped, his hands over his mouth in disbelief.

"D-did I do that?" Keefe shook, his eyes glassy.

Sophie didn't answer, her eyes staying on Dex and his peaceful sleeping face. "DEX PLEASE" She yelled at him one last time.

His eyes opened, pain filling them instantly. "Sophie?" he croaked, then he let out a cough that make Sophie's heart burn. "Yes Dex?" she cupped his face with her blood covered hand and looked at him with concern.

"Such pretty stars" he whispered looking beyond Sophie.

"I'm going to find help Dex, your going to be okay." Tears ran down her face and fell on Dex.

He let out another rattling cough and looked at her smiling sadly. "It's fine Sophie, we both know there's no one coming"

Sophie shook her head. "That's not true" She said more to herself them him. Dex can't die. He just can't.

Dex grabbed her hands weakly and looked into her eyes. "Sophie, you are the most amazing friend I could have ever asked for. You have always been there for me, and I'm glad that I could return the favor" he spoke.

"Don't talk like that Dex" Sophie said firmly. "We'll get you out of here, I've got my crystal, we'll get help" Sophie told him. Dex chuckled, but the laugh cost him because he grunted in pain. 

"Keefe told me about that crystal of yours, but he said that it only had three leaps left."

With those words Sophie turned to stone. He was right.

"I'll stay here, it's fine" Sophie assured him.

"Sophie, we both now it's not safe for you to be here by yourself. And I would never make it, there's no point- there's no point wasting a leap"

"IT'S NOT A WASTE" Sophie exclaimed. "It'll be okay!" she told him.

Dex looked at Keefe, and then at Julie. They both kneeled down and held onto Sophie's crystal. Dex grabbed her hand and placed it on the crystal, and Sophie's eye's widened in realization. "No Dex!" she gasped but it was too late, she and her friends were already fading away from the crystal.

Dex used the last of his strength to lift his head up and kiss her on the cheek. Sophie was heartbroken and more tears filled her eyes. "I never stopped being in love with you Sophie, even though I knew you didn't feel the same way, I'm just glad that I had the honor to be your friend." He told her softly.

"Such pretty stars" he repeated again, before closing his eyes once again. And taking his last breath.

"Dex" Sophie shook him.

"DEX" she screamed shaking him roughly.

But with a quick flash, both Dex and them disappeared and after a few seconds she reappeared in a familiar place, but not one she wanted to be in.