Part 2: The Wolf Beyond

How It All Started

The smell of pancakes and strawberries filled the air as me and Mom set up the dinner table. Mom and I lived on a small island beside Costa Rica. It was only Mom, and my pet wolf Howl. But my friend Brooklyn was over for the week. "Breakfast!" I yelled to the two."Yes, I'm starving!" Brooklyn said, running down the stairs alongside Howl.

"Hey buddy!" I said as Howl hopped up and down. We started feasting on pancakes and strawberry milk. After breakfast I asked Brooklyn to look after Howl so I could do my morning run.

I focused on the sound of my breathing as I ran, constantly running faster. I needed to stop a couple times because I felt tired. Right when I was about to continue, someone yelled.

"Hey Heather!" I looked around and spotted Brooklyn.

"I was looking everywhere for you," she said in a hurry.

I noticed that her face was a mix of worry and sadness. Something was definitely wrong.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"It's Howl, he's out of his cage. I don't know where he went!" she exclaimed

Howl is my pet wolf. We found him 6 years ago when I was only 10. He was with his mother at the time but she trusted us and now we were BFFs also known as Best Bubby's Forever!

"I told you to keep watch," I replied, worry laced in my voice.

"I know but the door was open a bit and he ran out. I was too late! He was out before I could catch him!" replied Brooklyn.

"We have to go find him," I said in a rush, already beginning to think of places he could have gone.

"How can we track him?" She asked.

"Our horses can help!" We ran to the barn and took our horses outside. They'll probably be able to smell where he went.

"Do you have some of his fur?" I asked, holding my hand out.

"Yes It's right here," Brooklyn replies, placing soft fur on my outstretched palm.

"I hope our horses can find him," I said. I let my horse sniff the fur and within a couple seconds her head jerked in a certain direction, indicating she smelled a trail.

"Let's go before he goes even further!" I exclaim as we hop on our horses and follow the lead of Howl's scent. After a couple hours we made it to the ocean! Our family lived in a small village on a small island so this did make sense.

"How could he get across the ocean?" Brooklyn asked.

"I don't know," I answered, pondering her question.

"What if someone kidnapped him and now he's on another island!?" Brooklyn said in a worried voice.

"If that's the case then we better get moving," I said in a hurry. "There's a shed nearby, I'll go get it while you tie the horses to a tree," I said as I ran south to the shed.

I thought that the boat was not that heavy...but it was heavier than a walrus! So I called Brooklyn to help me get the boat to sea. We hopped on and started to paddle away into the far beyond! The next day I woke up to the sound of waves. Brooklyn was fully awake.

"There," she said all of a sudden, pointing somewhere behind me. I sat up and followed where she was pointing. It was a ship, a big one with big white sails and a big black skull. As I looked closer I saw a dangling cage and it was a wolf I recognized like a brother, it was Howl! "Let's move in slowly," I whispered.