Chapter 6 - This Darkness

He finally peels open his slumbered eyes.

"What time is it?" He looks up at you, his eyes squinted against the kitchen lights.

"About 1pm." You reply, ignoring his gaze. "I've made you breakfast."

You walk over to meet him by the couch, he perks up when you kneel down in font of him.

"What's all this for?" He grumbles, his voice was coarse from the night before, and his eyes puffy.

"You were pretty drunk, figured you'd enjoy a hangover helper breakfast." You smile as you hand him the plate, continuing to keep your eyes away from his as you stand.

He grabs the plate and puts in on the coffee table, just as fast as he catches your wrist as you turn to walk back towards the kitchen. You turn back to face him and immediately you observe his expression. The way his eyes looked at you in this moment.

"What's wrong?" You ask him, keeping your cool.

He removes his grip and catches himself. "Uh, nothing.." he picks the plate back up from the table, and begins poking his fork into it. "I just had a weird dream that's all. Thank you for the food."

"You're welcome, there's some Tylenol on the table for you too, don't know if you saw." You respond, making your way back into the kitchen. "The bathroom is open if you want to shower."

"Thanks." He responds, digging into his scrambled eggs and toast.

You retreat to your room, you didn't want anything to get in the way of your mindset. Being around him makes you weak, you promised yourself it was over after today, as soon as he walks out, you're done. Nothing will change that.

You grab your headphones and bring out some homework from a few of your other classes.

You tried to clean your mind by focusing on school, telling yourself over and over that you'll get over it. You'll move on.
Reassuring yourself that you shouldn't feel this way because of him. You deserve better.

But it itched, and shredded from within you, an emptiness you always ran from.

You hear a soft knock at your door, it barely makes it through your headphones, you take them off to listen.

"Hey yn, where do you want the empty plate?" Erens voice spoke softly beyond the closed door.

"Just leave it by the sink, I'll wash it later."

You hear him walk off and place his dish down on the counter, listening to his footsteps as he makes his way to the bathroom, you hear the shower turn on and the shower curtain slide open, hastily you get up and speed walk to the bathroom door.

"Do you want me to put your clothes in the wash?" You ask kindly, resting your head on the doorframe.

You hear his voice chime back. "Sure, doors unlocked."

You open it quietly, you didn't really know why you felt the need to sneak in, but regardless you tried to be as stealthy, yet quick as possible. You grab his clothes and immediately shut the door behind you and throw them in the wash, walking over to the couch Eren slept on just minutes ago. You trace your hands along the armrest where his head lay against before sitting down.

A few minutes went by, you changed Erens clothes over to the dryer, not long after, you hear the water from the shower go silent, and the curtain being pulled back again. You hold your breath waiting for him to emerge, trying not to stare at the door, and as soon as you see it creep open you turn your head to face the tv.

Eren walks out wrapped in only a towel, tucked tightly around his waist, little trickles of water still rest on his skin, every so often dripping down his torso.