「Fragment I」The Clouds Over Orario

❖ ❖ ❖

   Alice finds herself waking up inside the very same Abandoned Church. Her lantern turned cold long ago, and before she knew it, the days had changed in the blink of an eye.

   She stood up and tidied herself, removing the dust from her robe before picking up her lantern and wooden staff. As she glanced at the only Goddess Statue in the rundown building, the girl gives a slight smile and bowed, then says,

   "Thanks for, sheltering me, during the night."

   And before she left, her eyes turned toward a room behind the altar. Her head tilted a little for brief moment, but keep quiet before departing as if it was nothing.

. . .

   A greyish clouds overcast the vast blue sky, and the sun is hiding high above. One may see it clearly; a gloomy atmosphere permeating through the famous Labyrinth City.

   'I haven't noticed it yesterday, but, this city really is filled with unpleasant emotions. . .' Alice thought to herself.

   It was presented in front of her eyes, and she doesn't like it the slightest. Not one bit, for her smile faded a little. Feeling both concerned and curious, Alice decided to take a stroll be by herself.

". . . Let's take, a look around, shall we?" she muttered.

    Unfortunately, wherever and whenever she was, Alice saw the listlessness of ever person she met without having an ounce of smile on their face. Instead, she found anger, hatred burning through their face, despair and fear clouding their heart while sorrow binding their feet. But as unpleasant it was, Alice knew that she can't let it affect her.

   But amidst her stroll, Alice noticed a single man whom staggered, hardly walking with the help of wall to support himself while clutching his stomach. And he was thin, too thin in fact that his arm is nothing but skin and bones, as one would think that the wind breeze is all it takes to drop the man to death.

   . . . Alas, its not the wind who took him, but his own foot.

   "Hrk―!" he closed his eyes shut with panic.

   It was the fear of death, knowing that his life may truly end the time his body hit the street. But as it happens, there is a feeling of resignation, for he had enough with his pitiful life.

   'So it be.' he thought, accepting his fate.

   Or so it should be, but instead, the death he had expected didn't come, as he realized someone catches him right before the fall.

   "Now that, was dangerous, wasn't it?" a soft voice resounded, while he was guided to sit by a small hand.

   "Tha-thanks." the man replied nervously. Unexpectedly, there is a tinge of regret knowing that he had managed to stay alive. Had he died, he will no longer need to endure living the harsh world. 'How sweet is that. . ?'

    But as he tried to take a closer look at the person who helped him, he turn into a statue. Petrified with eyes wide open―and of course metaphorically, because Gorgon isn't there.

   It was caused by the sight of his eyes; Strands of long silver hair swayed with wind breeze, shine not unlike the silk weaved by Spirit. But then he noticed a peculiar amount of bandages that has covered there and there, including half of her face which is quite bizarre. Still, it doesn't manage to suppress her looks, with skin soft and smooth akin to porcelain, as the girl childish young face staring at him with worry. It was a sight one would describe by these words; pure flower unblemished by the world, close but distant, charming but unapproachable.