Chapter 30 - Life in Woodbury

Lucy had been at Woodbury now for 2 months. Her kill was still haunting her everyday, more than she ever thought it would have. The man deserved it, he would have killed her now friends and likely would have killed her once he had done what he pleased. She replayed the situation a lot, thinking about how it all could have gone so differently, however she knew it was no use, you can't change the past.

She had spoken with Milton once she had returned and asked to not be put on runs for a while, at least not until she was ready. Milton understood and put her on guard duties which she didn't mind, she got to take her feelings out on walkers and practise her shooting with a sniper, something she never used before, plus it wasn't her ammo to waste. This wasn't a place forever, it was a stop gap until she found her siblings again.

In that time she had grown close with the men she had gone on that run with, them often stopping by to see if she wanted to train with them, which of course, she accepted. It was another outlet for her anger and it kept her fit compared to sitting up on post. They would often push each other to their limits, Lucy could already see and feel the difference the two months of training had caused.

-

She was on guard once again when Merle alongside a few of the other men returned from their run "Hey Dixon" The follow watchman yelled out.

"Dixon?" Lucy raised her brow as she turned to look at her fellow watchman.

"Yeah, Merle Dixon" The watchman spoke with a raised brow.

Lucy didn't say anything, her brain was too busy racking about whether this was Daryl's brother, it made sense, how common was the surname Dixon in reality. She watched as the group entered the gates, Merle looking her way. "Got a gift for ya" He remarked with a smirk.

"You got me a gift? How sweet" Lucy smirked and hopped down from the border, making her way over to him, "What do you want in return?" She raised a brow curiously at him.

"Nothin', it's a gift for my favourite gal" He smirked at her, basically devouring her with his eyes.

"Still won't sleep with you Merle" She laughed and took the bag that he held out for her, taking a peek inside.

"Dammit, and here I was thinking I had a chance" He spoke, acting as though he was hurt by her comment.

"You've never had a chance" She laughed softly. She looked through the bag, seeing a variety of hair dye and products.

"I thought you could do with a touch up" He remarked with a little chuckle "Get Julia to do it for you" He spoke referring to the women who did everyones hair in Woodbury.

"Thanks Merle, I really appreciate it" She gave him a soft and genuine smile.

"Welcome kid, I gotta run and check in with the boss" He spoke and gave her a pat on the shoulder before heading off down the streets.

-

Once Lucy's shift had come to an end she decided to head to find Julia, to see if she was free to do her hair. She arrived at the converted shop and saw that Julia was just finishing up with one of the residents.

"Hey Luce, you need anything?" Julia asked softly.

"Merle got me some things, was thinking we could have some fun" She smirked.

"Set it down on the side and we can take a look" Julia spoke with a happy smile. Lucy knew how sheltered a lot of these people were, she knew they wouldn't survive out there but for now, she would make due.

Julia ended up having a lot of fun with Lucy's hair, stripping away the black dye and bleaching it blonde. Merle found some semi permanent dye so she added the pink to the bottom just to add something a little extra, all while giving her hair a nice trim. Once she was done Lucy looked at herself in the mirror with a smile, it was nice sometimes to have a glimpse of normality. She thanked Julia and told her to keep the rest of the supplies, as a thank you, she had no use for it.

-

Later that evening, Lucy decided to find Merle and have a talk with him about what she had found out that day, plus show him her new hair style of course. With her hands in her pockets she headed for the bar, the men normally going there after a run, particularly if they scored some good things.

She walked into the bar and eyes scanned over her, no one realising who it was at first. "Well fuck me sideways, I did a good job getting those supplies didn't I?" Merle chuckled, "Joining us for a drink?"

"Sure" She smiled softly at him, perching herself on the stool next to him, being handed a whiskey. "I erm, wanted to talk to you about something" Lucy spoke, taking a sip of the harsh liquor.

"All ears" Merle spoke, downing the rest of his drink before pouring another.

"Your name, it's Merle Dixon, yeah?" She spoke to which he nodded. "You got a brother? Named Daryl?" She asked, sipping at her drink even more.

"You know my brother? He who you were with before this? Where is he? Is he dead?" Merle began to reel off questions to her, his whole persona changing at the mention of his brother.

"He could be alive, I don't know. When I got back, walkers had taken over, everyone was gone, including my siblings" She spoke solemnly, finishing her drink, needing to take the edge off, this being the first time she had mentioned her siblings in a while.

"You remember where this place is? We can take a team there tomorrow, make our way through, see if they are there" Merle confirmed, almost smiling at the thought of seeing his brother again. "You just get better and better don't ya girl?"

Lucy merely rolled her eyes at his comment but was feeling somewhat relieved and hopeful about going back to the farm. She knew that she may find her siblings dead, but at least then she would get closure.