Chapter 1

Smash!

Umeed squinted her eyes shut as she heard the unmistakable sound of glasses shattering. The sharp unsettling sound cut through the ambience of the cafe like a blade. She cautiously opened her eyes and peered over the kitchen counter, where she saw a tray of delicate teacups and saucers now reduced to a scattered mosaic of porcelain shards on the floor. One of her only two staff members stood there, stunned by the chaos she had unleashed. However, her heart leaped to her throat as she rushed to the scene.

Panic surged within her, not just from the flying saucers and teacups in her cafe but also upon spotting Pasha Sahab, her father, standing at the entrance door. His stern gaze darted back and forth between the shattered mess on the floor and her anxious face, radiating palpable anger and disappointment. Umeed's trembling fingers fidgeted as she closed her eyes, silently mouthing prayers, bracing herself for the imminent confrontation.

This was the last thing she wanted to deal with today.

"Umeed Baaji, maaf kar dein pata nahin yeh paani kahan se aaya," Zoya explained as she gestured at the water on the floor. Umeed nodded and asked her to clean up the mess as she watched Pasha Sahab walk inside and settle on one of the tables, shaking his head in disapproval. Umeed took the seat in front of him, pursing her lips tight, gathering some courage to put an end to this uncomfortable, terrifying silence.

"Pasha Sahab aapko pata hai aaj ka din normal se thora zyada busy raha hai, in fact iss haftay almost all time high par chal raha hai sales aur customer count." Umeed lied through her teeth as she always did, the only way she could survive. She continued in a softer tone lowering her eyes; "bas isiliye staff thora overwhelmed hai tou bas..." she trailed off, desperately hoping against the hopes that Pasha Sahab would buy her explanation, only to see him lean back on the chair, folding his arms across his chest throwing her a disapproving glare, shaking his head in disappointment.

"Umeed," he began, his tone laced with frustration, "Do hafton mein me teesri baar yahan aa raha hun aur har baar hi kuch na kuch tor phor chal raha hota hai yahan. Yeh sirf glass aur chai kay pyaalay hi nahin toote hain, yeh tumharay bachkana khwaab aur zid hain jo toot kar bikhar rahay hain."

That stung. But Umeed knew better at this point than to reply to that to make him understand that this was not just a childish dream or a hobby for her. Pasha Sahab had made it a point to visit her cafe at least once every week since it's opening three months back, ensuring he pointed out at least one problem every time he came and today he just had the perfect opportunity to prove his point. Umeed took a long sigh. "Me apni puri jee jaan laga rahi hun Pasha Sahab, Insha'Allah kuch waqt mein halaat behtar ho hi jayega."

"Puri jee jaan laga kar yeh haal hai?" Pasha Sahab chuckled sarcastically. Umeed looked away, knowing where this conversation was going. This was the man who had complained for days about a minor leak in the building they rented for the cafe, something well beyond her control. He had used it as a means to highlight her supposed incompetence, even though she had promptly met with the landlord to have it fixed within two days. This was the same man who couldn't muster even a word of appreciation when she achieved her first-ever profit, no matter how modest the amount might have been. 

"Umeed me tumse baat kar raha hun, baat maan ni nahin hai yeh tou pata hai lekin kam-az-kam sun tou liya karo, baap hun tumhara." Umeed immediately shifted her gaze back to Pasha Sahab, redirecting her focus to their conversation.

"Jee Pasha Sahab sun rahi hun, aap kay liye chai le aaun?" asked Umeed.

Pasha Sahab's gaze remained unwavering as he continued; "Me yahan tumhari chai peenay nahin aaya hun, uskay liye mera apna ghar hai aur udhar chai ki patti, doodh sab kuch khareed kar rakha huwa hai menay. Bohot ho gaya tumhara bachpana, aur bohot kar li tumnay manmani. Mujhay umeed hai kay tumhein apna vaada yaad hai aur pata hai tumharay paas waqt kitna kam hai. Bas, me jo baat karnay aaya tha, woh me kar chuka hun."