Little Healer

Astarion groaned. He sat at a safe distance and watched as his companions continued their fruitless efforts of convincing a healer to join them on their journey. Honestly he did not know why they bothered. If the healers remained unswayed while they were drunk and pliable they would remain staunchly so while they were hungover. He watched his companions haggle with increasing desperation, sinking into their voices as though they were boats of hope actively taking on the bitter sea-water of reality. They would not find a healer, not here, anyways. And the sooner they realized that the sooner he felt that they could be on their way. Not that he could approach and remind them of that. No, he needed to remain hidden and unseen or they would never let him hear the end of it. They would blame him for ruining the great nothing of a chance they preieved to have had. Astarion scoffed and looked away for a moment, as a flash of light colored hair caught his eye. There she was, the little healer. She clutched her side as though she had injured herself during the night. Astarion found himself chuckling, bemused, wondering what sleeping position the little healer must have contorted herself into to have procured such an injury. She watched the party with an intensity that matched his. She observed them for a moment, before pausing to speak with who Astation assumed must be her superior. A person of considerable age and indeterminate gender, who carried themselves with all the authority of one who was used to commanding and receiving respect. He strained his ears, but could not for the life of him understand what words were passed between the two of them, he was simply too far way. However, when she turned, Astarion could finally see her face clearly. It was a sweet face, with a downy mouth and rounded cheeks. The crown of which were her eyes, they were greener than the grass she stood upon, and he saw the expression in her eyes that was undeniably pity. She approached his companions, moments after they had seemed to finally have abandoned their sinking ships of hope and packing their bedrolls to leave. Again, he could not hear exactly what words had been exchanged, but the conversation seemed to be short and concise. She approached them, and they spoke briefly before shaking hands. They parted, and She returned with a pack of her own, before setting off with them. Astarion was astounded. She had seemed so much smarter than that, to blindly agree to be a member of a party whose goals and aims were yet unknown to her. Astarion followed from a distance. Although she may have agreed to accompany the group, that meant little to nothing if she got skittish at the sight of him and fled back to the caravan of healers. No, he would remain in the shadows for a moment linger. Just until they reached a safe enough distance, one where deflecting alone would be more dangerous than continuing the journey with them.  No, they would leave her no choice but to follow along. 

As Astarion traveled behind them, he could see the others walking much ahead of the healer. They did not pause for her, nor did they slow their pace to accommodate her. Honestly the lot of them were utter fools, did they not realize what an asset they had chanced upon? That they were gambling away? Suppose some great harm befell her while they were all but ignoring her and she cried out for help only to go unheard? They ought to give thanks to the gods in their great benevolence and foresight to have him in their party to keep an eye on her, as in this wilderness they traveled through anything could happen. Astarion groaned at the sheer idiocy of the others as he watched her grow further and further behind. He almost approached to offer assistance when she stumbled over a deep root and her foot got momentarily caught. She was a perceptive little thing. She seemed to have sensed his nearness and she once again turned to where he stood, just far enough out of sight to go unseen. This time however, there was no turning back, she caught him unawares, and gave chase. Astarion could not decide if he was offended or delighted, as he had not been chased in a very long time, and had almost forgotten the thrill of it. However, there was really no hope of this little thing ever actually catching up to him, and the farther they ran, the farther they would have to travel to return to the others. Astarion slowed his pace and allowed her to catch up to him. She tumbled forward, the poor thing. Collecting herself and regained her footing only to stumble backwards as her foot was caught in her skirts. Really, the others ought to be ashamed for leaving such a creature to fend for itself. She was a little lamb all on its lonesome and what was he if not a wolf? He would have liked to give her the chance to get acclimated to the party before approaching her and introducing himself, however he shrugged, figuring it really couldn't be helped. If she defected, it was on the others for their negligence. This could not be his doing.

 He caught her, lest she fall backwards and crash her pretty skull on the rocks beneath their feet. "Oh! Thank you!" She uttered breathlessly, as he was finally allowed to hear the sound of her voice. It was a sweet voice. He found he liked it, it rather suited her. Astation gave her his best smile, and his most charming show voice. He wanted to make himself as appealing and as disarming as possible. Even the most vampire-phobic of individuals found it a difficult task to resist his charms. "Falling for me already me sweet? And we haven't even been properly introduced!" She blinked at him. Then held up a hand to create some distance between them before stating, "I don't want to know your name, I want to know why you're following me." Astarion could hardly believe his ears. His charms had never once failed him. He faltered, if only momentarily before retorting, "You were the one chasing me!" Only to be interrupted once more the silencing of her palm. She regarded him with something akin to pity before suggesting that he ought to leave while he could before the others returned. Implying not only that those utter buffoons had a running record of being personally invested in her ongoing health and wellbeing and secondly implying that they were capable of harming him in any meaningful way. Him! Of all people. Astarion was utterly dumbfounded and found himself floundering to conjure up a retort. As he stammered, she began to walk away from him. This was utterly unheard of! He was a creature of unparalleled beauty, wit, and charm, no one had ever, in his 200 years of being a baited lure, not one person had ever turned away from him. With pity, no less. Disgust or terror would have been understandable but with pity! As though she were doing him some great kindness by affording him a head start to flee for the hills as the others approached. He reached out to grab her wrist as she departed, pulling her back towards him. "Wait!" He began, and it was then that the others happened upon them. Seemingly having doubled back when they realized she was not among them. Shadowheart made some pithy remark about how them having met made for one less introduction they needed to get through, as though it made her already perfect life just a little bit easier. Astarion, attempting to salvage the shreds of his pride, and once more appeal to the little healer, raised her hand to his mouth and gave her a kiss along with his most dazzling smile. "Astarion, at your service, my sweet."