DETENTION

"Our differences make us unique,
but our acceptance of those
differences makes us whole."

[Drake's P.O.V]

In the dimly lit corridor, I found myself standing rigidly before the formidable detention room, the echo of my earlier fury still burning like a low ember in my chest. I was seething, no, that was too strong a word. I was just... irate? The perfect descriptor eluded me.

Me?

Having a crush on him?

The thought was laug.

Absolutely not!

He was no Romeo, and I was certainly not his Juliet, ready to swoon at a mere glimpse of his shadow. This wasn't some trite, overused love story. Love at first sight was a myth, at least for me.

His arrogance was infuriating. I mentally rolled my eyes, attempting to banish him from my thoughts. As I reached for the doorknob, my hand slipped, causing the door to swing open with a loud bang.

"Easy there, you're not a wrestler, are you?" quipped Mr. Parker, our P.E. teacher. He was seated at the front of the classroom, and I saw his magazine fly towards the window, a clear indication of his surprise.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled, closing the door behind me.

The room was almost empty, save for one person.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I asked, approaching the boy near the window.

"Because of you, pea brain!" He retorted. It was my younger brother, Blake.

As I grab a chair beside him I noticed something different.

While Blake and I were complete opposites in many ways, our physical appearances highlighted our differences even more. Blake possessed a pair of striking sky blue eyes, contrasting with my own eyes that were as dark as the night sky. His curly blond hair cascaded in a carefree manner, while my straight black hair fell with a sense of sleekness. His complexion boasted a smooth, porcelain-like quality, in stark contrast to my own more ordinary fair skin.

It was almost comical how Blake seemed to possess more delicate and feminine features than even our friend Anna. His love for reading delved into subjects like math, science, and biology – wait is biology and science are same?– anyways he excelled in his studies, always achieving top grades and earning the coveted A+.

In contrast, I struggled to even lift a book for more than a minute of study. My grades were consistently poor, with an occasional D bringing me a fleeting sense of triumph. I had little regard for keeping track of my possessions, often misplacing them without a care. While Blake was a social butterfly, effortlessly making friends wherever he went, I was content with the small circle of friends I had, consisting mainly of Anna and Nico.

Speaking of Nico, where is that guy anyway?

It wasn't that I was an introvert, but rather a fear of seeing people leave my life someday held me back. Perhaps my lack of friends could also be attributed to a childhood incident in second grade when I claimed that Spiderman was my uncle. It was an absurd statement, but my classmates had believed me at the time.

"Fine! I'll cook next time," Blake's voice broke through my thoughts, interrupting my reflections on our differences.

I shrugged nonchalantly. "Don't want to die," I replied, absentmindedly playing with my nails.