birds of a feather

hellooooooo!!! welcome BACK everyone!! i hope you've all had a wonderful day!!

so sorry it's been so long since i've been posting! Life Is Happening Very Much All The Time and it's a little hard for me to find the balance of this and the rest of. that nonsense. at the moment lol. but we have this!!

this will unfortunately probably be it for another little bit BUT i do have something special that i'm hoping very hard to post around the holidays so that'll be fun!! and then we'll be back to our usual. sporadic nonsense in the new year :)

this was requested by someone!! but i have lost it in the internet void and unfortunately have no idea who it is so if you do please let me know!!!

anyway. i don't think i need any tws!! but if i'm forgetting something please let me know and i'll add it in :)

enjoy!!

—————

Today is a very important day.

Why, you might be asking. Is it a birthday? A holiday? Some big achievement?

No, children, you're wrong.

Today is the day Matilda and Miss Honey get a pet.

They don't know exactly what sort, yet. Matilda's read about practically every animal in the books, so to speak, so they know how to care for whatever they pick.

Matilda's been begging for some little thing. Company, whenever one of them happens to be home alone, and a little friend for the both of them to have.

They finally reach the local pet store. Archibald Crumplebottom's Menagerie of Animals and Other Eccentricities. Sounds like their sort of place. It has quite a large sign, but even still, the Eccentricities bit has a wooden board all of its own hanging below the rest so the whole name fits.

There's a lovely sort of tinkling as they push open the front door and head inside, caused by a few jingle bells dangling from the door handle.

Dogs and cats and birds and all sorts of things start barking and meowing and tweeting and a myriad of other sounds at the two of them as they walk in. A man dressed in nice trousers, a button-up top, and a waistcoat pushes through a beaded curtain at the back and stops behind the counter to greet them, with a little green parrot perched upon the top of his head.

The parrot is the one to welcome them. It gives a great squawk followed by a, "Hello! Hello!"

Matilda giggles at the strange creature. The man gently feeds it a treat and simply nods at the two of them. Miss Honey keeps a tight hold of Matilda's hand and starts winding them through the aisles.

There's baskets full of little puppies towards the back. Another with cats. Matilda lets them sniff and nibble at her fingers and sees if any of them catch their eye.

Miss Honey coos over the kittens, scratching each little head and smiling at the content purrs she gets in response. "How about a cat?"

Matilda considers it. "I would like one. But I think we must consider all the options first."

Miss Honey nods. "Alright then."

They continue meandering up and down the aisles. They scritch at guinea pigs and bunny rabbits. Matilda does also adore the idea of a pet rabbit. Miss Honey seems a bit frightened when they get to the glass enclosures holding reptiles. Matilda carefully presses against them to observe the snakes. "Ooh."

"A snake?" Miss Honey chuckles incredulously. "You'd like a snake?"

"You wouldn't?"

"No," Miss Honey replies immediately. Matilda hums and giggles as one of the snakes yawns. Miss Honey makes a small frightened noise and leaves as soon as she sees his fangs.