Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Let's rise above the ashes

"Jane," I froze upon entering the front door. Mom's expression was blank; there was no reading it, even for me. "Sit down." She kept still, but her emotions cultivated. Cheyenne followed my movements, except instead of watching my mom's motions, she examined her mother's.  I tried not to look my mother in the eyes, that's just dangerous territory. "I just wanted you to know," She began as she sipped her hot tea. "We aren't moving until after your concert." Cheyenne and I looked at each other; neither of us saying a word. Even though I was disappointed John hadn't convinced her to stay, I was glad he bought me more time. At least I'll be able to read my speech to her at school for open house.

"Thanks mom!" I jumped up from the couch and gave mom a kiss on the cheek. I galloped to the hallway, halfway to my room I realized Cheyenne wasn't behind me. I started to hear mumbling so I walked back towards the living room, when I heard Aunt Tina speaking to Cheyenne I sneered into the kitchen to get in good hearing rang for their conversation.

"Cheyenne, I've been meaning to tell you something." I heard nothing but Cheyenne clearing her throat as she listened to her mother with great concern. Aunt Tina was beginning to explain something about moving on and forgetting about things of the past, I didn't hear word for word because my mother came in the kitchen to stomp on my ease dropping.

"Jane, go to your room. Your aunt needs to talk to Cheyenne, it's between them two, and it's none of our concern." I was about to fight back but mom got a phone call. "Hello?" She answered it and walked out back. With mom out of the way I continued to listen.

"Say something Cheyenne, I need to know what you're thinking." Aunt Tina has always been the easier one to have a debate with, mainly because she actually listens to what you have to say. Mom, who is deeply stubborn, is the complete opposite of her sister.

Cheyenne's voice was soft. "No." she said sighing in frustration.

"What do you mean 'no'?"Aunt Tina was confused.

"I don't," Cheyenne took in another deep breath. "I just," Silence took over for a good minute or two. "I think," She finally began. "That your theory is incorrect." I could feel Aunt Tina's puzzled emotions from where I was sitting. "I believe the past is what makes you who you are, we can learn from our mistakes or drown in the results." Not knowing what Aunt Tina had said to Cheyenne before, because of my mom pestering me to stop listening, I could still foresee where this was going. "You said yourself before that dad is good at decision making, don't you think he'd make the right choice? Or are you saying he's drowning in his own self pity?"

"Well, I" Aunt Tina struggled.

"Tell Logan to find another family to split up. Dad is different mom." Cheyenne's voice was cracking because she was no longer able to hold in the tears.

"Cheyenne what do you mean?" I glanced around the corner to see Aunt Tina gently placing her hand on Cheyenne's shoulder.

"Dad, he's back to his old self!" Cheyenne was sobbing. "He's, he's" Cheyenne was huffing, almost beginning to hyperventilate. "He's at the hospital. Ple, please." She kept crying through her words. "Just go talk to him mom!" Cheyenne was balling at this point. She caved into her mother's arms giving all she had with tears. Aunt Tina patted her daughter for comfort, but Cheyenne got up and went into our room. I tried escaping the kitchen without being noticed, but my mom walked back in.

"Jane! I told you to go to your room!" She really didn't sound that mad.

"It's ok." Aunt Tina said as she slowly came to us in a daze. "I just don't get it." She randomly stated. "I thought Cheyenne would understand," Aunt Tina pushed on the kitchen counter to hold herself up. "We hardly ever disagree." She bit her bottom lip. "What makes her think her dad will change?" Aunt Tina shook me with the misunderstanding. "Jane, your closer to her than all of us, what's going through her head?" She let go realizing how hard she was shaking me. She let her heart rate slow down before saying anything else. "Could you convince her?" I stood still for a moment and then reached for my cup of water. I took a good sip and then faced Aunt Tina; a little unsure if I was about to step out of my boundaries.