𝓕𝓸𝓾𝓻 : 𝓝𝓸𝓽 𝓪𝓼 𝓫𝓪𝓭 𝓪𝓼 𝓱𝓮 𝓼𝓮𝓮𝓶𝓼

Any trepidation you had felt following your interaction with Alvida was somewhat forgotten once the Miss Love Duck actually set sail.

Whilst helping the older crew member, Ken; a gruff but not unkind man, check the hold stowage; which basically consisted of ensuring that all barrels containing provisions were properly tied down, you were soon hit with an overwhelming onset of nausea.

"Never been to sea before, ay" he remarked with a knowing yet sympathetic smile, "don't worry, it'll pass. Better go up on deck and get some air"

Thanking him profusely, you hastened back up the wooden stairs as fast as your wobbly legs would carry you. The salty sea air hit you, almost taking your breath away as you stumbled towards the side of the ship and clung on until your knuckles turned white. You closed your eyes and did your best to ignore the way your guts twisted and turned violently. The incessant heaving sway of the ship as it was rocked along by the waves only caused the nauseousness to increase. You breathed slowly and kept swallowing but no, your throat kept clenching. No matter what, you couldn't stop the sickly feeling rising through your chest. Then you tasted it at the back of your mouth.

Ugh

You were scarcely aware of all the activity going on around you as other crew members went about their business. All you could focus on was the sensation; as though your stomach was being vigorously squeezed like a set of bagpipes.

Maybe once you were sick you would feel better, you hoped at least, as with a heaving lurch of your stomach you couldn't stop the stream of rancid liquid that spewed from your mouth.

Shit, it was so gross. You hated being sick at the best of times, but here and now, in front of everyone, made it all the worse. You longed for privacy but that was not going to happen. And you felt dreadful. All you wanted to do was hide in a corner somewhere and curl up in a ball, but you couldn't do that now.

Then the sound of laughter filled your ears, as the crew began to find great amusement in your suffering. Their heckles and jeering caused your cheeks to flame with humiliation. Just as you believed things couldn't possibly get any worse, they did. They got much worse, as you suddenly felt a large gloved hand come to rest at the small of your back.

"Oh dear, feeling a little sea sick huh? Well..... I guess I should've been expecting that"

Hell no.

The last thing on earth that you wanted was for him to see you like this; straining and retching and vomiting. Luckily for you, you hadn't eaten anything today, so all you were bringing up was fluid. But it still tasted disgusting. You fought hard to stop, or at least to be quiet, but it was a physical impossibility.

"I...I'm ok....I'm ok...." you repeated over and over between gasps, hastily wiping your mouth with the back of your hand, then immediately wished you hadn't, because what must he think of you? But you didn't want him seeing you dribbling either.

"Uh, clearly you're not" he disagreed, as he gently began rubbing small circles on your back; displaying a level of attentiveness that you never would've expected from him.

You shook your head helplessly, "No, I'm fine, and....I don't really want you to be here right now." you exhaled shakily. "you really don't have to be here."

"I know I don't have to be here, and believe me, I'm not exactly a fan of watching people throw up"

You turned your head to look at him and saw him grimace slightly.

"Then why don't you leave—?"

"Look, it's no big deal, sweetheart. Trust me, I've seen much worse"

You managed a weak smile. "Gee, that's such a comfort."