Chapter 17

-

"You look stunning." Baker gushed as he approached me outside of the venue.

"Thank you." I replied with a smile.

"You came!" Carol exclaimed as she approached me with bright eyes and a smile.

"You can thank me." Baker joked while snaking his arm around my waist.

"Wait. Are you two... together?" Carol gasped.

"Not yet." Baker answered as I glanced to him.

"Well, I fully support whatever this is." She replied before walking into the venue.

"Ready?" Baker asked as he stepped forward and opened the door for me.

"No." I grumbled while walking inside.

While we were eating, Daryl caught my eye as he sat down at Carol's table. Why is he here? At the ball? This is the last place I thought I'd see him.

My eyes moved to Carol who placed her hand on his leg before leaning into his side. I quickly pulled my eyes from them as Baker placed his hand on my thigh.

"Are you going home tonight or in the morning?" He asked as I turned to face him.

"The morning. I got ahold of Carl and he insisted I have fun and that they'd keep the kids however long I wanted, but I'm going back tomorrow." I explained before drinking a sip of water.

"That's nice of them to give you a break." He stated.

"Yeah, it is." I muttered as the volume of the music increased and a bunch of couples began dancing.

Baker scooted his chair from the table before offering his hand to me which I hesitantly accepted. I followed him to the dance floor before he turned to face me and took my hand. I rested my other hand on his shoulder as he placed his on my back before pulling me closer to him.

"Thank you for coming with me." He muttered while looking into my eyes.

"As much as I don't want to be here, thank you for inviting me." I replied with a smile.

"God, you are beautiful." He replied while gazing into my eyes.

"Thank you." I replied before pulling my eyes from his.

We continued dancing slowly to the music and making small talk for a few minutes until I felt someone tap my shoulder.

"Mind if I spin him away for a few?" A beautiful blonde woman asked me.

"No, go ahead." I ordered while stepping away from Baker.

I watched as he narrowed his eyes at me before I turned to walk back to our table. I looked back to the dance floor and watched as Carol managed to pull Daryl up for a dance.

My eyes moved back to Baker and the blonde before switching back to Daryl and Carol who were dancing slowly together.

My mind then raced to the first time Rick and I danced together, causing tears to burn my eyes. I quickly looked down at the table and closed my eyes as I watched the memory of him play in my head.