Not Even Death Can Part Us (angst but happy ending)

A/N - saw an Instagram reel and thought of this idea, it's sad but it has a happy ending I promise! 

Tw// overdose, character death, implied suicide and burning. 

Nico di Angelo's death was something that shocked everyone, it had been suddenly, mid-battle and by the time they got him to the medical set up, it was far to late to save him. He'd been stabbed clean threw the stomach but he didn't stop fighting until the end, even as he slowly bled out. 

His death took a toll on everyone, especially Percy and Hazel but Will took it the worst of everyone. Everyone had been expecting him to have a huge breakdown but he didn't, didn't even shed a single tear. That had been somehow worse than if he had broken down, because at the very least his friends and family might know how to offer support. But Will just kept himself busy for the first 2 days after the battle, shoved himself into his work and stopped talking more than necessary, that was until Nico's funeral. 

"Hey, um...Nico's funeral is in a couple hours and I figured you'd want to...you know be there" Kayla said gently to Will who was restocking the medicine cabinet. 

Will turned to face his sister, his blonde hair looked disheveled and he had some pretty dark eye bags but he just smiled thinly at his sister and shook his head, "I-I'll be there but I don't know if I could really stand seeing that right now, stand seeing them burn his shroud" 

Kayla nodded in understanding, "alright, I get it, we're all here for you if you need us ok?" 

Will hummed in acknowledgement and watched as his sister left before closing the medicine cabinet and making his way to his desk. He sat down and picked up the neatly folded piece of paper in front of him, he'd written it with care, making sure everyone understood. He re-folded it and laid it carefully on his desk, enough that it was in sight of everyone but didn't look out of place either. No one was in the infirmary but Will, everyone was preparing themselves for the funerals of the fallen in the battle, including Nico. 

Will carefully unlocked the medicine cabinet and brought down a bottle of painkillers, brand new and unopened. He took a deep breath before opening the bottle and counting out the correct does, just enough to be fatal within the next 24 hours. With a deep breath and a glass of water Will swallowed the meds, and made his way down to the funerals before everyone else. 

When Will arrived, he found Nico's body quickly and quietly, he pulled down the burial shroud to revel his beloved's face. Nico looked like he was sleeping, his black hair fanning out messily around his face and his pale complexion catching the light from the beginning of the sun set. If he hadn't lacked the distinct soft rising and falling of his chest Will would have assumed he was merely asleep. Looking at him, Will had to blink back tears, he leaned forward and dropped a kiss to Nico's forehead, 

"I love you, I'll see soon" he muttered softly against Nico's forehead before pulling back the burial shroud and joining his love underneath it. 

Will wrapped his arms around Nico gently and did his best to bring his head to rest just above Will's chest so he could hear his heartbeat, the way they always used to cuddle. If Will held his love tight enough and closed his eyes he could almost imagine they were lying in the hades cabin together, Nico just having dozed off and Will being soon to join him. Will knew that once he fell asleep the poison would claim him and he'd join his love in the afterlife, but it took him a while to fall asleep. He held Nico and just silently cried for a while, he heard as the funeral began and Hazel attempted to choke out a tearful goodbye. Will however drowned out the noise, he rested his head on Nico's and took a deep breath, closing his eyes and letting sleep take him just as the 2 went up in flames. 

🖤☀️🖤☀️🖤☀️🖤☀️🖤☀️🖤☀️

"Where's Will?" Kayla asked to her siblings as she arrived at the infirmary, Will hadn't returned to the Apollo cabin last night or showed up for his morning infirmary shift and Kayla had begun to worry for her brother.