Prologue: The Beginnings

Footsteps Approaching

By evolution-500

Genre: Horror/Tragedy

Disclaimer: "3D Monster Maze" is a property belonging to Malcom Evans. I own neither the characters nor this respective title.

WARNING: This story contains violence and coarse language. Reader discretion is advised.

Prologue: The Beginning

"Like one, that on a lonesome road

Doth walk in fear and dread,

And having once turned round

Walks on,

And turns no more his head;

Because he knows, a frightful fiend

Doth close behind him tread."

- Samuel Coleridge, "Rime of The Ancient Mariner"

'HE IS HUNTING FOR YOU.'

Jeremy Rhodes stared at the blinking message on the screen of his handheld tracking device, his black-ringed eyes veiny and red with exhaustion as he struggled to stay awake, searching for his adversary.

He hadn't known how long he had been here for - time seemed to matter little, if at all in this damned place, and Jeremy had completely lost track.

Seconds stretched into minutes before stretching into what felt like hours, perhaps even days, and as a result, he felt worn down in ways he never thought possible. Not even the boring lectures by his university profs were comparable, for at least even between classes, there was some manner of respite. As sleep deprivation started to take its toll on both his mind and body, Jeremy felt his will wane as he took notice of his own disheveled appearance.

Jeremy's blue dress shirt and expensive black designer jeans, once clean and immaculate, were now in complete disarray, wrinkled and filthy, his usually tidy swept-back dark brown hair now wild and unkempt, while a five o'clock shadow started to form on his usually clean-shaven face.

But even more, he noticed, he was starting to stink, much to his chagrin.

Jeremy's shoulders sagged as he sighed, wincing slightly at the smell of his own damned breath.

As disgusted as he felt, personal hygiene would have to wait. He couldn't afford to be distracted - not now, not while it was still out there searching for him.