Chapter 2

☘︎ *⚜*☘︎

𝖂𝖔𝖊 𝕴𝖘 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖓𝖊𝖑𝖎𝖊𝖘𝖙 𝕹𝖚𝖒𝖇𝖊𝖗

☘︎ *⚜*☘︎

"How could you miss a dead body?"

"'cause it wasn't there. No footprints, no blood, no sign of a struggle. Nothing, nada. My search party looked all night." Sheriff Galpin seemed less than thrilled as he entered the school accompanied by the eldest Addams child and the headmistress of Nevermore Academy. Perhaps that was because a teenage boy was bugging him about how he had missed the dead body he had witnessed being slaughtered the night before.

"Well, your search party must have left their seeing-eye dogs at home. I saw that monster kill Rowan right in front of me. As did Y/N."

"Get a good lock at this monster thing?"

Weems led their little interrogative party up the stairs towards her office.

"It didn't stick around for a chat."

"Maybe it was one of your classmates."

Weems suddenly turned to the sheriff, her eyes burning at the accusation. "Sheriff, I find that question offensive."

"I don't care, 'cause I got three other dead bodies in the morgue. Hikers just ripped apart in the woods."

"The mayor said those were bear attacks."

"Well, the mayor and I disagree on that."

"So you automatically assume a Nevermore student is the murderer, even though there's no evidence a crime was even committed."

Galpin rolled his eyes. "I'm sorry. I forgot, you only teach the good outcasts here, right?"

Weems simply sighed. She wasn't in the mood for this.

The three continued to Weems' office. "My guess is Rowan ran away. State troopers have put out an alert, and I've contacted his family, but they haven't heard from him either."

"Dead people are notoriously bad at returning calls."

"What were you doing out in the woods with him, Mr Addams," Galpin asked, turning his attention away from the headmistress to the young boy standing before him. He fell back into one of the seats in front of Weems' desk. "And what about your friend? Y/N, you said her name was?"

"I heard a noise in the forest and went to investigate. That's when I stumbled upon the attack."

"What about Y/N?"

Wednesday only hesitated for a minute. "I suppose she saw me leaving."

Galpin raised an eyebrow.

"She's observant."

Weems smiled affectionately and supported Wednesday's claim. "Especially when it comes to things that happen in the woods." She turned to Galpin. "It's part of who she is."

Galpin nodded. He didn't entirely believe them, but he didn't know enough about the girl still currently unconscious in the infirmary to press any farther. For all he knew, they were telling the truth.

"Then what happened?"

"I ran into Bianca Barclay, and I told her to go for help. Next thing I remember, I was awaking in my dorm."

"And just to be clear, this monster wasn't a bear or some other wild animal?"

"I've hibernated with grizzlies. I know the difference."