𝟓𝟗. ✭ 𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐊𝐒 ✭

I grip the phone harder in my hand with each passing word that slips from Evelyn's mouth. She'd promised to update me on Torey's time spent with The Harvey Watch. Not even twenty-four hours after he'd left me, us, did he already fuck someone else. The more Evelyn tells me exactly what he'd done with the woman he was with, the more concern flows through me.

With the rundown of events I'm glad he won't be anywhere near Dani. The things he would do and say to her... I shake my head at the thought. I know how he spoke to me. I can't even imagine the emotional damage he'd inflict on her.

"Who was it?" Because The Harvey Watch employs many a sex worker. Men and women alike. I've been with a handful of them, women that is. The only man I've ever been with is the man we're talking about.

"Vikter said he asked for a very specific type. Black hair. Grey blues. Submissive." Yeah that sounds right up Torey's alley.

"Right, but who was it?"

"Willa."

Of course he'd be into Willa. So had I been. Multiple times. But I had never done that to her. I cringe at the thought and wonder if he'd ever been with Dani like that, which has me cringing harder. Because my guess is he has. A vivid visual of him pounding her pussy with his fingers until she squirted followed by a vicious ass-pounding plays in mind.

"She was a favorite of yours too, was she not?"

"Yup."

"She'll be out of commission for a few days, if not a week. That's lost revenue..." Her words hang in the air and I know that's because that would usually be a problem. One that would need to be paid for. When I don't say anything she adds, "though he did compensate her quite handsomely afterward so I will let it slide."

Leave it to Torey to cause a problem on his very first day. I sigh into the phone, hand threading through my hair in frustration with, "thanks for the update, Evelyn. Sorry for the... the inconvenience..." Why I'm apologizing for Torey's sadistic bedroom behavior I don't know.

"Anything for you, Brooksie."

"Keep me informed."

"Will do. I do so wish you would come back home, join us again. After this business with the Albanians, maybe?" Evelyn sounds hopeful. After all, she has been like a mother to me in a way. "Will you consider it?"

My mind immediately flies to Torey because he'd joined and getting out is near impossible. Once you start taking people out and learning things about the prominent people of this world, privileged information, not many are going to let you live. The Harvey Watch may have been my home but having to slaughter an entire family, like my father hadn't done that very same thing to my own, was the last straw.

I had gone, prepared to do my duty but when I'd seen those children sleeping in their beds, innocent children, I couldn't do it.  That was back in Austin, Texas. The Watcher of the house there knew my background and still didn't care. I'd had to go to Evelyn where she pled my case to them. And that's how I ended up on Daniela's assignment. I was in but I was out. I never wanted to go back.

"Brooks? Are you there?"

I clear my throat with, "I'll think about it. Please take care of Torey."

"Take care of him?" Her tone full of suspicion. "I know the two of you were working together, that you're currently working with his family,  but it was my belief that you were with Dani... not Torey."

"I'm not with either of them." And that's the truth of it. I consider myself single. Dani's sleeping with Tristan and Torey is sleeping with whoever he wants, if you could call that sleeping with someone.