Chapter 12

"'Step down?' My brother was taken aback, only to shake his head in disbelief and laughter afterward.

"Impossible. If Charles ever steps down, I'll unscrew my head and let you play ball with it."

"I'm aware,"

I replied evenly.

Tyler's family's situation was, admittedly, rather intricate.

The Tyler patriarch had two sons, Charles's uncle and Charles's father. Unlike others in the Tyler family, Charles's father was not inclined to business, preferring to indulge his fascination with astrophysics.

Initially, the Tyler patriarch intended to bequeath the company to his eldest son's family. However, Charles's two older cousins failed to make their mark due to inevitable blunders made six years ago.

Hence, Charles stepped in.

Alas, his cousins, still disgruntled, never ceased their attempts at usurping the CEO position, their ambition ever keen.

Whichever way the patriarch leaned, it felt like a choice between his flesh and

blood.

Charles was more closely intertwined with the patriarch than his cousins because he didn't live on the family estate as a child. Occasionally, the patriarch's judgments faltered due to age.

Charles's parents, both scientists, could only help navigate the complex Tyler family politics.

Over the past five years, the monumental struggle Charles had undertaken to secure his position firmly wasn't lost on anyone, least of all me. Hence, he would never step down.

As expected, following my request, Charles didn't approach me again.

The months I was sped by in a blur. Immersed in my work, I saw promising progress in the company's operations.

Allen and the other employees felt a swell of encouragement. It was evident that Allen had evolved significantly during these challenging times.

On December 31st, the company held a modest year-end celebration.

We indulged in a feast and sang songs, and my brother joined us.

High spirits prevailed during the party.

My brother, usually so composed, was the life of the party.

As the clock struck eleven, we emerged from the KTV bar.

Snowflakes began falling gently from the sky, prompting some more exuberant members to initiate a snowball fight in the cold with glee.

Across the road, a large screen atop a shopping complex was broadcasting a TV program.

My brother was chattering ceaselessly behind me.

A snowflake landed on my eyelashes, and when I looked up after brushing it away, I spotted Charles on the big screen.

There he was.

As handsome and poised as ever, responding to a journalist's question,

"May I ask the unique reasons behind your sudden resignation as CEO of Tyler?"

Charles offered a calm smile.

"No peculiar reasons. I wish to take some time off..."

"To spend time with my wife."