01 - a generic day like any other

You groaned, rubbing your eyes from pure exhaustion due to the lack of any sleep you've gotten last night after cracking too many colas. You're bound to learn your lesson someday, but not soon, and definitely not today.

Life really isn't that great or anything to be enthusiastic about if your job requires you to run miles across an unfamiliar landscape to pick up downed people, then run for your life past dozens of nextbots before reviving that person and then repeating the process over and over until it gets dark.

It's currently dawn, judging by the concoction of colors in the sky outside your tinted windows in the raggedy run-down cabin. It's really dusty which drives you crazy some days, but you manage. Sometimes, you don't even bother cleaning up after yourself because you're jaded by the time the day's nearly over.

The digital clock on your nightstand was practically screaming at you to get up already, so you do.

Turning off the alarm with a slam of your hand, you slowly stepped onto the wooden floorboards with a creak. You cringed as you felt your feet come in contact with the dusty texture of the ground. You really ought to clean up sometime.

You took a step back to admire your closet. 10 copies of every fit you have... wonderful.
By every I mean six.

You slipped into a fresh outfit, throwing your old one onto a laundry pile. It doesn't look very satisfying or pleasing having a dump of clothes in the corner of a cabin, but someday you've got to wash that up anyway.

Dusting off your arms, you picked up your favorite accessory. Felt a little cute anyway, so why not?

"If I die while saving someone at least I'll die hot," you thought with a grin.

Ever since you've been doing rescuing work, you've felt more confident in general. The pay's really not that great but at least you've got a stable ego now, unlike all those years ago.

You stepped outside, but you don't take any whiffs of fresh air since the air is filled with sand dust. As expected, Jard is standing there, tapping his foot impatiently while crossing his arms, a glare shot right at you while he tipped back his black cap, lowering his hood.

"You're late, 43-day streak. Do you lack a sense of punctuality or what?"
"Heh, sorry. I'm married to the bed. Cuddle session every morning."

"Very original and very funny, Y/N," Jard commented while shaking his head like a disappointed parent, although he himself was smiling and tittering at your terribly made punchline. You couldn't quite tell if it was of amusement or downright pity.

"Come on, you're smiling," you remarked, sniggering at his desperate attempt to hold in his laughter.
Jard shook his head with a rather sad smile, "You're fucking sad. Someone should fucking kill you."
You nodded in unison, "Actually, that's kind of true."

"This is disappointing. You're doing this on purpose, aren't you?" he remarked with a dejected smile. "Waking up super late to avoid running those five laps around the map in the morning. Smart."

"I manage," you responded with a chuckle.

You and Jard lined up in front of the cabin, watching the sun rise up as some players began showing up, their nervous and anxious gazes darting around the map, ready to run from any nextbots sent their way. Your body stiffened from uncertainty as well, your senses on full alarm. This was the time they'd usually begin showing up and terrorizing everyone. This wasn't exactly you and Jard's first rodeo, but it was nerve-wracking regardless.

"Nervous?" Jard asked, without any sign of teasing in the undertones of his voice, just evident concern for his friend as he looked down at you, letting his blonde hair hang over his eyes while he awaited your response. After a momentary pause, you shrugged your shoulders before sighing, "Maybe. No matter how many times I've escaped those nextbots, it always sends me chills and into an adrenaline-pumping panic. I really resent and despise that feeling of dread, and well, impending doom..."