~Chapter 15: A Goodbye~

Zero sat in Toichi's boat with Sayaka, smiling happily.
"I really wish we could have played more," Sayaka sighed, glumly.
"I know, but the plan always was for me to go back home."
"Will you be here again next time?"
Zero smiled," I hope so. I'll make sure to keep in touch."
"Totally! Pinkie promise?"
Sayaka held out her pinkie.
"Pinkie promise," Zero hummed, interlocking his pinkie with her's, giving it a tight squeeze.
Sayaka leaned in, bringing her voice to a whisper," Zero, I put the painting and the diary back where I found them."
Zero smiled," Good, it's for the best."
"I haven't told anyone in my family. Let's keep it our secret."
Zero nodded, smiling. Sayaka giggled, glancing back at the mansion, bringing her voice back to normal.
"How funny," The girl hummed.
"What?"
"Without Marnie I would have never made you my friend."
Zero chuckled," That's for sure."
"Marnie..."
Both glanced back in shock, staring at Toichi. He spoke!?
"The young girl who was trapped behind the blue window. That was quite some time ago."
Sayaka clapped her hands, her eyes shining," Awww!"
"Zero!"
Zero gasped, recognising the voice. Above the marsh was Sebastian, outside a car, waving his hand.
"Look, it's Sebastian!" Zero gasped.
The entity got up suddenly, waving. The boat rocked, both Sayaka and Zero gasping as they tripped.
"Careful, you can't just stand up like that!" Sayaka laughed.
"My bad!"
Sebastian smirked.

Sebastian stood at Zero's balcony, staring out at the marsh with a soft sigh

Sebastian stood at Zero's balcony, staring out at the marsh with a soft sigh. Zero walked over.
"I'm all packed."
Sebastian smiled," That's good."
Something made Zero believe Sebastian wasn't exactly ready to leave the view yet. The demon stood there, leaning out, his gaze remaining on the marsh.
"I've been looking at all the photos you sent up here."
"Photos? Oh yes, while you were away Hikari was looking at old photo albums. And she wanted you to have this picture."
Sebastian picked up his bag, searching for something. He retrieved a black and white image of the marsh house, holding it out for Zero to take. Zero gasped.
"It's the marsh house!"
"Hikari talked about a human friend she used to have, but I think that he was just an imaginary friend she had to keep her company whilst she was ill. One day she had that, for a while she just wouldn't let it go. She said it belonged to her friend's grandmother."
Zero turned over the image, looking down at the note on the back.
"My beloved home," Zero read aloud.
His eyes widened at the signature," Marnie!"

He could hear the humming of the old lady in his ears again, and her soothing lullaby. Now he realised, it was the same song that Marnie had sang to Tokumei whilst teaching him how to dance. It was like the entity could see them slowly waltzing in the moonlight again, before it faded back to the child's room.
Marnie hummed to one year old Tokumei, who sobbed in the bed, even as she patted his hands in lulling motions. Tokumei stared up at her face. Her expression was soft and loving.
Tears rolled down Zero's cheeks, he clutched the image tightly.
"That's...who she was..."
Zero traced his finger over the hair clip from Tokumei for support. Sebastian raised an eyebrow, confused.
"Zero?"
The entity turned away, walking out to the balcony, staring at the marsh.
"And so I was in the silo all night long," Marnie explained, shaking her head with a frown," Of course I was ever so scared!"
She opened her eyes, smiling at Tokumei.
"But then, that's when your grandfather came!"
Tokumei beamed at Marnie, eagerly listening to every word.
"He encouraged me, saying I did well."
Marnie sighed with a smile, taking off a purple hair clip from her hair.
"I have overcome many frightening things in my life. And Tokumei, so will you."
Tokumei watched as Marnie gently put the clip in his hair, brushing a few strands away from his eyes, affectionately.
"After all, you're my only grandchild. And you have my love, no matter the world. Now and forever."
Zero gently wiped the tears from his eyes, with a smile,"... Forever..."

Kiyomasa drove Zero and Sebastian to the train station in the car

Kiyomasa drove Zero and Sebastian to the train station in the car. Zero watched sadly as they drove away from the Oiwa's home.

Nabuko laughed, walking with her mother.
"Excuse me."
They both turned around confused, facing Zero.
"Zero?" Nabuko frowned.
"I'm sorry about the other day."
Nabuko nodded," Next time you better join us for rubbish pick up."
Zero walked over to the smirking demon, Sebastian raised an eyebrow.
"Was that a friend?"
"Uhhh...maybe?"
Zero gasped, looking down the slope. There was Hisako, painting in her usual spot. The entity rushed down to her, waving.
"Hi Hisako!"
"Zero, hello," Hisako smiled, glancing over at Sebastian briefly.
"I'm going back home."
"Is that right? Judging by the look on your face I'd say something good has happened."
"Yes! Lots of good things, I'm really happy."
"Good. Let's draw together next time, shall we, Zero?"
"Yes! I'll write you a letter, I have some wonderful news to tell you! Thank you!"

Zero sat in the car with the sculpture of the owl Kiyomasa had worked on for him. As they bounced over a pot hole, the eyes bobbed. Zero smiled, staring out of the window. In Toichi's boat, Sayaka waved happily at him. Toichi also waved, but it was short and calm. Zero stuck his head out, waving.
"Toichi! Sayaka! Goodbyeeeee!"
Zero smiled, watching them get slowly smaller. His gaze shifted to the mansion like normal, for one final time. He gasped, looking at the blue bedroom windows. There was Marnie and Tokumei. They both hung out of the window, smiling happily; waving. Zero gasped, blinking. As he opened his eyes, it was just the curtain, lulling in the wind. Zero's frown grew into a small smile, gently tracing over his hair clip. The entity got back into the car, pulling out a sketchbook to look at his most recent page. A coloured version of Marnie and Tokumei dancing in the moonlight, the card of the marsh house beside it.

(End of Chapter 30)