A change is needed...

Carmon

I couldn't believe my parents had me at church all day once again. I loved my parents and they had given me a wonderful life under them and the lord so what more could a girl like me ask for. It was my last year of college and I was finishing up my degree in pharmacology. Yea, you girl was going to school to be a Pharmacologist which had always been my dream. I wanted to have my own drug store and I had already learned so much. For some strange reason, I need and wanted more.

After church, my best friend Peaches came to scoop me in her new ride. She had a 2019 Mercedes Benz that was black on black, The rims were black and so was her car and it was nice. As she pulled up I could hear everyone outside the church wooing and awwing. "Who car is that I heard," one of the choir members asked? Everywhere we went Peaches new ride turned heads and had people noticing us. I couldn't lie I love the attention and damn sure would love a car like that one day.

I loved the way her car smelled on the inside of it, yea, it had that new car smell so everyone knew it was straight off the lot. Myself, on the other hand, drove a red beat up 2005 Honda accord that my parents passed down to me once I finished high school. I just stood in the door of the church in deep thought about my life. That's when I heard Peaches screaming across the church parking lot.

"Carmon is you ready to go are what? I don't have all day now, bring your butt, on," Peaches screamed like I didn't see her standing in front of the church.

"Hold on, I'm coming," I screamed back to her. I ran over and placed a kiss on my father cheek and hugged my mother. "I'm gone guys," I said as I ran towards the parking lot. I loved for the weekends to come because I knew I would see peaches and we would have a dope time like always.

I loved Peaches, she was ghetto and didn't care who knew it. I, myself am more of the conservative type, very quiet, and without much to say. I guess because I would be to deep in my own thoughts most of the time, trying to block out the world. I ran to get in the car and my favorite song was playing A Boogie "Look back at it," it had been a new hit of 2019 and I was digging it hard. I couldn't listen to rap, R&B or Hip Hop music at home so when I was out and about with Peaches I tried my best to listen to it all. "That song goes hard," I said as I bobbed my head back and forward.

"I can tell your ass never get to listen to good music. Girl this is this new A Boogie song and this motherfucker go hard in the club," Peaches replied as she turned up the radio. We-vibed to the beat and song along enjoying every word.

My father Charles Wells would say, "I don't want to hear nothing but the music for the lord up in my house." Just thinking about it made me laughed. I was the only child so imagined how bored my life has been. Having a mother and father in the church had its ups and downs so I tried not to complain. Peaches, on the other hand, had been in and out of Foster care since she was about five years old but that's another story.

We pulled up at Peaches crib and it was nice. She had just moved in a apartment down town by the water with a beautiful view of the city. Jacksonville Florida wasn't the biggest city and the world but I loved my city.

"So Carmon, when u gonna get your own place," Peaches looked at me and asked?

"I have thought a lot about it but I know it will devastate my parents," I replied.

"Camron, I know you love your people's but you have to live for yourself for you. You gonna keep on to the best years of your life is just gonna pass you by," Peaches replied giving me a look like you need to do better girl.

In Jacksonville, we used the term my people a lot referring to a person's parents, friends, and family members. Which Peaches always spoke slang and some folks would ask her the meaning to what she was saying but not me. This was my bestie, and if nobody understood her, I did at least for the most part.

"When the last time you heard from your boo Peaches," I asked?

"Who," Peaches replied like she hasn't had a boyfriend since forever.

"You know who I'm talking about, girl, J.C., remember him your longtime boyfriend," I replied giving her that look like girl stop playing with me.

"Girl, l don't even care to talk about him at all." Peaches replied ignoring my question.

James Cook, all so known as J.C. one of the most popular guys in town dated my best friend Peaches. J.C. was toffee colored with hazel eyes and he had a smiled out of this world. All his teeth was even and made his smile give you chills. He was one of the biggest dope boys on the westside of Jacksonville. He stood 6'0 even and he had this swag about him that all the ladies loved. Just like Peaches got a lot of attention so did J.C and the ladies was flocking to him everywhere he went. Peaches on the other hand didn't really care she was living her own life to the fullest so they was off and on a lot because of Peaches lifestyle. I never judge her because growing up she never had a easy life. She has been on her on since she was sixteen, J.C. on the other hand didn't approve of her choice of a life style.

"Ok, we don't have to talk about him if you don't want to. What are we doing tomorrow Peaches? I know you got something planned," I replied.

"Go shopping, you already know what I love doing. We got to get us some sundresses since its about to be summer. I want my booty to Shaking while I'm walking," Peaches said with a little giggle.

"Ew, you so nasty Peaches...don't know body want to hear about your booty shaking."

Then we both burst out laughing. I always had a good time while we was together which made my life seem so worth it, well sometimes. She went to her kitchen and grabbed herself a wine cooler.

"Carmon, do you want one," Peaches asked?

"Naw, I'm ok, you know I don't drink," I replied.

"Well, I tried anyways.You know Kane been asking about since he saw you with me that day I meet J.C. over by his place," Peaches said.

"You, know Mr. Wells not having that he will flip if he knew I was talking to anyone hood. My father don't play and you know this," I replied as I let out a giggle.

We both laughed so hard we had tears coming down our face.

That what the soul needs sometimes just something simple as a great laugh just to keep the sad bugs away. When I was with my bestie I got that and I enjoyed every second of it. We laid around and talked for hours about everything we had missed the passed few weeks we didn't see each other. We both loved romance movies so Peaches pulled out "The Notebook" one of our favorite romance movies. It was four o'clock in the morning and it didn't even seem late.

When I'm at home I normally be sleep by eleven o'clock p.m. because I be so bored. You would think I'm a teenage the why my life was set up. All I could think about was how I wanted a change in my life. The only problem was I had to figure out away to keep my parents happy. That was gonna be hard to do and still get more out of my life that I had been looking for.