1.0

prologue

The warm sun beat down on Marigold's face as she skipped through the fields of wildflowers, her heart light and carefree. She had nowhere to be and nothing to do, and for the first time in a long while, she felt truly happy. The sweet scent of the flowers filled her nostrils as she twirled around, her dress billowing in the breeze. She had always loved this place, this meadow that felt like her own little slice of paradise. As she lay down on the soft grass, she closed her eyes and let out a contented sigh. Life was good. Finally.

Marigold's peaceful moment was interrupted by a sudden flashback to a time when life wasn't so carefree. She was transported back to a dark and stormy night in her childhood home before the orphanage, where she huddled under the covers with her baby sister, trying to block out the sounds of their parents fighting in the other room. Marigold had always been the protector, the one who shielded her sister from the harsh reality of their home life. But that night, she felt powerless, unable to do anything to make it all stop.

The memory was vivid, and Marigold felt a pang of sadness wash over her. She knew that she couldn't change the past, but she also knew that it had shaped her into the person she was today. She took a deep breath and let the memory fade away, focusing instead on the warmth of the sun on her skin and the sound of the gentle breeze rustling through the flowers. Life was good. Finally.