Chapter 8: Sparks of Attraction

Encre's POV.

It's been a few days since the night that Monsieur Fallacy apologized and things were going really good. I was less tense whenever he appeared out of nowhere, which I noticed he liked to do occasionally. I didn't keep glancing over my shoulder when I walked the castle's hallways by myself. Monsieur Fallacy even invited me to join him and his son to their tea session.

I nearly declined that offer because I didn't want to intrude that father son bonding time but all it took was Jasper looking at me with begging eyes and I agreed.

I truly enjoyed their company. Me and Jasper would talk about random things like while Fallacy just sat there listening to us. A few times now, while in the middle of a conversation with Jasper, I've caught him staring at me with an unreadable emotion. His intense stare made me blush, a shiver running down my spine... but in a good way, if that makes sense.

"So Encre, do you have a husband back in the village?" Jasper asked out of the blue. This sudden topic almost made me choke on my tea as I coughed. Normally, I wouldn't mind when the young prince asked random questions about my life but this really caught me off guard. "What?.. oh no. No I don't. I'm not in a relationship" I explained.

"Really? Not even someone courting you?" Jasper continue asking with what looked like an exited expression on his face. Fallacy cleared his throat. "Jasper, that is an inappropriate thing to ask someone so suddenly." He spoke in a slightly warning tone.

"Oh- no, no. It's okay, monsieur. I don't mind.. and to answer your question Jasper. No, I have noone courting me. There were some who asked to do so. But it didn't develop into anything." I shyly explained, feeling a bit awkward talking about my love life with two vampires.

Monsieur Fallacy seemed to be a bit surprised to hear this. "Really? That's hard to believe. You're so pretty and kind, Encre. I assumed you were married." Jasper hummed but he did look content with my answer. Like he was happy that I didn't have anyone waiting for me back home in the village.

"Hehe.. thank you Jasper. But like I said, I'm not. No one in the village caught my eye, I'm afraid" I replied.

"Well~ Perhaps there are some other options OUTSIDE the village--" Jasper started hinting at something but suddenly, Fallacy put his cup of tea down harshly. "Enough, Jasper. You're making her uncomfortable. Why don't you go and find Gazelle. I heard she needs some assistance in the kitchen. I'm sure she'd appreciate your help" He spoke sternly. "But--" Jasper started but was immediately caught off by his father. "Now, Jasper" Fallacy said calmly but with athority. This made the young boy give up. "Yes, dad. I'll be right there.  Excuse me" He said and got up, making his way towards the kitchen to help Gazelle.

Once he was out of sight, Fallacy sighed. "I'm sorry about his behavior. Sometimes, he doesn't know when to stop." he apologized on his son's behalf. "Oh no, it's okay. He was just curious. That's how kids are." I chuckled, waving my hand.

"Still, those were some very personal questions and he shouldn't have asked them so suddenly." Fallacy said, sipping his tea. "..even though he's right.." he added under his breath but I still heard it. "Pardon?" I hummed, which seemed to have made him a little embarrassed that I heard what he said.

"I mean, what my son said. Your kind and gentle nature seemed to have no bounds and... forgive me for being so forward.. you are.. a very beautiful young woman.." He spoke. My heart skipped a beat and I felt my face heat up at the sudden compliment. "I, also, am surprised that not a single man has made you his yet" he added, wanting to hide his face behind his teacup.

I blushed even more. "Oh.. wow... Thank you.. I appreciate these kind words.. A-And like I said, no man ever seemed to have caught my eye.." I stuttered, nervously, taking a quick sip from tea to hide the smile that grew on my face.

There was a bit of an awkward silence. His gaze was still fixated on me. "So... You've never been in love?" He suddenly asked. "U-Uhm.. no.. I haven't.." I admitted.

There was another silence. The two of us occasionally sipped our tea as a form of excuse not to talk about this anymore but it was only a matter of time until our cups would be empty.

I decided to ask something. A question that has been swirling around in my head for days but I never got the courage to ask. "Uhm.. Monsieur Fallacy? May I ask a question?" I broke the silence between us. "Of course, and please, call my Fallacy. Monsieur sounds so formal" he replied and I smiled.

"T-Thank you, Fallacy.. uh.. I've been curious to ask... A-And you don't have to answer but..." I started, not knowing how to ask such a question to which I already had an idea on what the answer was.

"What.. What happened to Jasper's mother?" I finally asked and Fallacy stiffened in his position, his grip around his cup tightening. An intense atmosphere filled the room while Fallacy seemed lost in thought. I sweated.

"U-Uh.. I'm sorry for asking but Jasper doesn't really talk about her.. and he obviously must have had a mother who birthed him.. so I was just.. curious-" o started rambling but I was caught off when Fallacy suddenly slammed his tea cup down on the table.

The force of it shattered the tea cup right in his hand. I jumped in surprise at the sudden loud noise and looked up at him as he stood up. "That is NONE of your concern, mademoiselle... You have no right to know about her. It doesn't matter to you.." He spoke harshly.

This caught me off guard since only a minute ago, his behavior was really sweet and caring. Now.. he's cold and defensive.

Although, I can't say I blame him for doing so. I just asked him a very sensitive question. Jasper never talked about his mother. The staff around the castle seemed to avoid the topic and there are no portraits of her anywhere. The only family portraits were just with Fallacy and Jasper as father and son.

"I.. I'm sorry.. I didn't mean to intrude in your personal life.." I softly apologized bowing my head.

"..." Fallacy was quiet for a moment before walking away. "I'll return to my chambers... Thank you for joining today's tea session.." he muttered, leaving the room.

I was now alone. Guilt and sadness all over my face. I would be lying of I said I wasn't a little bit dissapointed that Fallacy didn't tell me.

I thought we were closer than before.

But I suppose that was foolish of me to assume. After all, I'm just a guest here in the castle while I'm healing... I had no right to ask about Fallacy's former lover.

Why did I even ask this question?! What was I hoping to hear?!...

I glanced at the door that Fallacy just walked out of. "..I'm sorry..." I muttered under my breath to noone. My voice echoing in the now empty room..

°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-°-
~To be continued~

There are small sparks of attraction between the two.

But has Encre ruined it with her interest in Jasper's mother? Which Fallacy is clearly still hurting about..

Let's find out next time

Until then

Bye!

❤️Love you all❤️