1

" Don't forget to send us letters, dear" My mother said softly.

" Be brave, Private Owen" My father teased, as always trying to lighten the mood and I smiled.

I wasn't the only unfortunate to join the army in the war, in fact, all of my friend group did. It's depressing to think about it, but it's war after all, what else is expected from the men in this counry other than to fight?

I observed my home for the last time, allowing my nostrils to inhale all the smells, the apple pie my mother insisted on making as a last goodbye, my father's cigar, the wet ground from yesterday's rain. I let out a final sigh then said my final goodbyes.

" You'll come back by Christmas, right? " My younger sister, Elizabeth, asked. My heart ached, it's been a year since the war started in 1914.

" If I don't come back by Christmas, you can have all my Jane Austen novels" I smiled a small smile and patted her shoulder. She giggled in excitement and ran back inside our house.

It was time to go.

I didn't want to miss that train that'll take me and few others to the camp we're training at. The journey wasn't long and I eventually made it there and sat in a cabinet that I had to share with another man.

" Hey, lad. What's your name?" The man asked.

" Owen. " I said.

" Is that your real name? " The man asked.

" It's my middle name, what I usually go by. My first name is John" I said.

" Good to meet you then, John" The man smirked.

I remained silent for a moment. " What's your name? " I finally asked.

" Harry, Harry Baker. " Harry said.

" Good to meet you then, Baker " I smirked and Harry laughed.

" How old are you? I'm 22 " Harry asked after a few moments.

" I'm 20 " I said.

We remained silent after that. The silent was long, but neither of us really minded it. It was somehow a comfortable silence. After a few hours we were finally there...

The camp wasn't big nor small. It had a couple of white tents and fireplaces. The sky was cloudy and the smell of smoke and ash filled the air mixed with the smell of mud. It seemed like some men had already made it before me and my group.

" Private Owen, eh? " A man that looked like a higher rank approached me and Harry. He then turned to look at Harry. " Private Harry?" He muttered. We both nodded and the man looked at us from head to toe.

" This place ain't for fun and games, yeah? Don't expect princess treatment, we're men, aren't we? I won't tolerate any disobedience  especially from you, Owen" The man said coldly then spat right infront of my boot.

" Yes, sir" I said hardly maintaining a steady voice.

" Call me Sergeant from now on " The Sergeant scoffed and I nodded.

I can already tell this will be hell on earth