TWENTYFOUR

|

|

Daenaera laid on the silk sheets of the bed, nervous as her thin gown and robes were bundled up at her waist. The cool afternoon air breezed in from the window and filled her nostrils with a calming scent of the sea. Her heart beating hard, and fingers squeezing the bundle of fabric of her dress with discomfort.

It was an odd feeling to have someone poking and prodding at her stomach and her lower half—at least, someone who wasn't Daemon.

She tried to hide her uncomfortable expression, but it was easy for her lover to see it. Daemon stood by the window while the Maester Halsin continued checking over her, keeping a firm eye on the check-up and where the Maester's hands went.

There was concern in Daemon's eyes as he spoke carefully to the maester. "You are too rough. Be gentler with my lady." Daemon's voice was cold and stern. He did not like what he was seeing. "And be mindful your hands do not linger places it should not. Now, do it again but with more care, and more gently." Daemon's tone was like ice.

The Maester stiffened, glancing at the Prince. "Yes, Lord Hand." He continued for a few more moments, before nodding for Daenaera to lower her dress skirt. "You may sit up, Princess."

Daemon looked at the man, waiting for the answer.

Maester Halsin cleared his throat. "It is hard to tell, my Prince..." He admitted slowly.

It is hard to tell? Daemon turned away from the window, now looking at the Maester. "Hard to tell?" He asked in a cold voice. "Does this or not mean the child is still alive, within the womb of my Princess?" Daemon asked him, with an obvious concern in his voice. "I do not want to lose Daenaera over your incompetence. I want a straight answer, do you understand? Did the child survive the moon tea?" He said, as he started to sound a bit more agitated now.

He was about to lose it. Daenaera needed a definitive answer, and he was close to exploding.

"There is no definitive way to know if the Princess is with child at all," Maester Halsin explained, clearly frightened by the man. "She shows no physical signs besides the symptoms she tells me. And if she is, the fetus would be too small for me to feel for—"

Daemon did not let the Maester finish.

"No physical signs?" He asked. He could not believe what the man was saying. "I know she has my child. I am sure I have impregnated her." He looked back at the bed. Daenaera was now covering her face with a blanket.

"That would only be possible if you and the Princess have..." The Maester shut his mouth, and he looked all the more horrified. His eyes going between Daenaera and Daemon, and fear entering his gaze.