56 ... thanksg!v!ng

friday
knights
56

LINKING BOTH arms around Carter's to comfort him, Amira looked up from his chest just watching him stare straight ahead with zero emotion. She didn't need to say a word to wonder if he was fine, or to know what he was thinking. She could see it all in his face. He clearly wasn't and she saw right through the blank emotion. It had been a couple of days since his mother announced to him and Cato only, that she and their father were getting a divorce. It probably wasn't the best time to announce such news around the holidays, but she trusted her two oldest to be mature enough to know early on. Both of them just kind of sat for minutes on end, confused and lost out of their minds.

They couldn't tell if it was a joke or not. But then again, they'd never seen their mother participate in any of their family prank shenanigans before so it had to be real.

Both of them took the news well enough but were still left shocked and conflicted. Carter was a little less shocked than his brother because deep down, he saw it coming years ago but he knew how much—as countless times she told them, their mother loved their father too much to give up and let him go. Determination was a trait that just ran in the family and at times, he wished to be without it.

It could be a burden sometimes. But if it weren't for such determination, he probably would've given up on the chance to see, feel, and hear how much Amira loved him just as much as he always did. He wasn't born with the candid trait of his but over time, he made it a habit. One which has always gotten him into trouble.

And without a brother like Cato always having his back, trouble would've constantly followed and consumed him to the fullest and he most likely would've fallen into the wrong crowd, unable to be the person that he is today. As much as he hated to see his parents drift apart, he was happy to see his mother finally let go. He knew how hard it would be to move on.

But for days, he just appeared emotionless about the news. It sucked even more that his little siblings didn't know yet. He knew they'd be crushed. They were too young to understand and loved their father unconditionally, they didn't know him for his flaws yet. "Honey?" Carter hummed, drifting back to the present, and looked up at Amira on a seat in the airport beside him on her knees. She had his face cupped in her warm hands, looking concerned. "Hm? Yes? I'm sorry baby you were saying something?" He kissed one of her open palms and sunk his cheek further into her warmth.

"Are you hungry? You didn't eat this morning," He then noticed the bag of Dunkin Donuts tucked underneath her arm that was full of glazed donut holes and mini hash browns. "While you were zoned out, I also got us a Blue Raspberry Coolatta that I thought we could share,"  She grabbed the cold drink between her thighs and held it up.

Carter frowned in awe at her innocent smile as she held the food to her chest like the bags were a baby. Without a word, he peppered her glossed lips with kisses. "You're sweet baby thank you. I'll take a mini hash brown," She smiled and dug inside the paper bag before popping one into his mouth.

He smiled and kissed her one last time just because she was so cute. "Have I really been zoned out for that long?"

"Mhm," She nodded, munching on a few of the hash browns she popped into her mouth. "Some guy across from us thought you had a staring problem at first," Both of them chuckled in sync before he gazed out at the morning airport lobby. "I'm sorry if I haven't been acting like myself."