Chapter thirty

It was the best and at the same time the worst month full of anxiety and fear, of the impending punishment from King Mael, and joy that they are finally together. They didn't fight. They weren't trying to kill each other. Amaya did not try to kill Ciaran. She admitted her feelings for him and enjoyed them while they lasted. It was like a heady drug she couldn't get enough of. She kept wanting more and more.

But one day that luck had to end.

A royal messenger from Miramor arrived at the palace in Hiraeth. He brought the news they were so afraid of.

"What does it say?" Amaya asked Ciaran.

"You don't have to worry about that," he replied.

"But it bothers me," Amaya said.

"You don't have to," Ciaran told her in a gentle voice. "Everything's gonna be alright."

Amaya took advantage of his momentary inattention as he tried to distract her, and snatched the letter from his hand. She read what was written there.

"No," she said. "No. No. No!" she repeated over and over.

Ciaran took her in his arms. "I'll get back to you," he tried to assure her. "I promise."

Even to him, those words sounded like a lie. If you go to war, you never know if you will come back. This may be the last time he holds her in his arms.

"Don't promise," Amaya told him. "Promises are meant to be broken. Just empty words full of false dreams."

"You know the Amorite, Amaya. We can't lose with you on our side," said Ciaran.

"Just because Deira wins doesn't mean it will save your life," Amaya argued.

"Nothing will happen to me. I'll get back to you sooner than you think."

"Don't leave me, Ciaran."

"I'm not leaving you. I'm going to fight so that the two of us can stay together, my little goddess."

Amaya watched the training of soldiers preparing for battle. They were supposed to leave in a few days. Amaya pleaded Ciaran every day, but he didn't listen. He was a soldier more than a prince. To go to fight was the prerogative of his honor. She was hurt by his determination to die.

"Deira will fall," whispered that quiet voice in her ear that constantly haunted her.

Amaya was overcome with terror. They don't stand a chance against an army of shadows.

"Arawn, please don't," Amaya said into the void.

"I'll see you on the battlefield," he replied.

Amaya immediately went to see Ciaran and General Marcellus.

"No, we can't afford not to go to war and you won't change that, Miss." General Marcellus said before she could open her mouth.

"You can't win this war," Amaya said with fear in her eyes.

"Why not?" asked General Marcellus.

"Is everything alright, Amaya?" Ciaran saw the concern in her eyes.

"You are going to war against the Shadow King," Amaya told them. "You can never win against him."

"How do you know that?" asked General Marcellus.

Amaya was silent.

"How do you know that?" Ciaran asked her.

"He told me so himself," she admitted.