Chapter 8: Haircut

On Friday Rory asked Logan if he could pick up Amelia from preschool. She picked up Oliver from school, and then took him to an ice cream place.

"Why are we not going home?" Ollie asked

"Because I thought that we should have a special mommy and Ollie date" Rory said

"I like mommy and Ollie dates. It's fun"

"I think so too" Rory said. "And if you still want to, I thought we could go do something really special"

"What?"

"Do you still want your haircut?"

"We can go now?" Ollie asked excitedly. He no longer wanted short hair, but he did decide that he wasn't a 'baby haircut' , although Rory wasn't really sure what that meant.

"We can go now" Rory said

"Let's go! Let's go! Let's go!"

"Ok, come on"

Rory didn't want to take him to one of those kids barber shops because she didn't really trust them, especially since she herself didn't understand what Ollie wanted. She wasn't even sure if he himself knew. So she made him an appointment with the woman who cut her hair. Cindy. Cindy had been cutting Rory's hair since she moved to New York City, and Rory fully trusted her with Ollie's.

"Look at this hair" Cindy said as she ran her fingers through Ollie's hair. "I wish I hair like this"

Ollie giggled.

"Is this your first time cutting it?" Cindy asked

"It is" Rory said. By the time she felt emotionally ready to cut his hair, he was almost 2, and able to decide that he didn't want it cut.

"That's awesome" Cindy said. "Ollie, how old are you?"

"6" Ollie said. "And a half"

"That half is very important" Rory chuckled.

"So what are we doing to your hair today, Ollie?" Cindy asked

"Baby, baby haircut" Ollie said

"What does that mean?"

"A little bit short, but still long"

"Like a trim?" Cindy asked. "You want me just cut off a little bit from the edges?"

"No. A little bit short, but still long" Ollie said

Cindy looked over at Rory who shrugged. Neither of them knew what Ollie was asking for, so Cindy decided to change tactics and pulled out a laminated piece of paper with a bunch of different hairstyles on it. "Why don't you try and find what you want on this card?" Cindy asked as she handed it to Ollie.

One looked at the card for about a minute until he found what he wanted. "That one" He said and pointed to a picture on the paper.

"Is that ok with you?" Cindy asked Rory

"Whatever he wants" Rory said. She wanted him to have his hair however he wanted it, but she was definitely emotional at the idea of cutting that much of his hair off. 

"Alright, so we're buzzing the sides and leaving the too long, right?" Cindy asked

"No" Ollie said

"No?"

"Buzzing means to make it short" Rory said. "It'll be like the sides of Logan's hair"

"Oh"

"So we are buzzing the sides right?" Cindy asked