Chapter thirty four

The Shadow King sat on his throne of shadows. The Shadow Palace was a magnificent place. It seemed almost unreal. The walls and floors were of shiny, black stone, but they also rippled like water. You felt like you were being swallowed up. There was an unnatural silence there. It absorbed every sound.

The Shadow King kept his eyes on the prince who managed to find his way to him. The prince fell to his knees before the mythical Shadow King. It took him months to find his way to his palace. He was slowly beginning to think that he was really just a myth and now he was standing in front of him. He was real.

"What brings you here, Prince Ciaran?" the Shadow King asked him.

"Do you know who I am, Your Majesty?" wondered the prince.

"I know everyone," replied the Shadow King. "However, it is a surprise to see the Prince of Deira in the shadows. You don't believe in gods there, after all."

"Not everyone," said the prince.

"So what are you here for, Prince Ciaran?" the Shadow King asked him. "What wish brings you here?"

"I want to become the king of Deira," said Prince Ciaran.

"So an unwanted prince, despised by his father, would like to become a king." laughed the Shadow King. "A bold wish, but I won't grant it."

"Name your price," Prince Ciaran urged.

"I'm sure you would be able to pay any price, but it would be pointless. Death is chasing you and will soon call you to her. Quite possibly before I could grant you your wish," said the Shadow King.

"There must be a way to avoid death."

The Shadow King smirked. "Fate has not been very kind to you, Prince Ciaran," he said. "But there is a way. Only one person has been able to cheat death."

"Who?" asked the prince.

"A girl blessed by the gods. King Damon's bride." replied the Shadow King. "However, she can be crueler than I am. I don't think she would be willing to help the enemy."

"I'll find out how she did it and then I'll come back," said Prince Ciaran.

"I don't think it's a very real possibility, Prince Ciaran, but if you manage to survive, I'll be happy to grant you your wish," said the Shadow King.

The picture has changed.

Prince Ciaran was talking to General Marcellus.

"That's a crazy idea," said the general. "Do you realize what the consequences would be if we kidnapped the king's bride?"

"She can be useful in other ways," said Prince Ciaran.

"She's a witch. She'll kill us." Marcellus objected.

"If she was a witch, she would have cursed our entire army and we would have lost a long time ago," Ciaran countered. "So either she really hates her own kingdom or she's not a witch."

"But how are you going to get her to save your life?" General Marcellus looked at his prince as if he had just gone crazy. "She will be the queen of Amorite and we are at war with them. You are her enemy."

"Not if she falls in love with me. People do crazy things for love."

"Have you lost your mind? She will never fall in love with you."

"We have to try because I don't feel like dying."

"Your army is loyal to you," said General Marcellus giving up. "We'll do what you tell us."

Ciaran smiled mischievously. "Then let's hunt a witch."

The picture changed again. This time they were already at home in Hiraeth.