Chapter 6: The Event

The venue was buzzing with life as the fine folk sipped their beverages and conversed about various business subjects. Marinette shuffled through the crowd occasionally bumping a few shoulders. She felt very out of place in such a professional atmosphere. She approached the refreshments and reached out to get a drink but her legendary clumsiness got in the way and she shrieked as she braced for the impact of her fall. 

"Whoa there you'll bring the whole table down with you." Marinette gasped and turned to face the smiling girl who looked like she had just saved the world from imminent destruction. 

"How's it going, I'm Sophie." Marinette stared at her blankly for a few moments before Sophie looked down at Marinette's dress which was now covered in apple cider. 

"Oh noooo! Your dress, it's all ruined!" 

"Hehe no need to make a scene." Marinette said backing away slightly. 

"Wait just a minute... don't tell me you didn't have an invitation to this party." 

"Ohh no it's nothing like that" Marinette showed her invitation which Sophie glared at and then looked back up at her. 

"I'm Marinette Dupain Cheng I just graduated from Dupont and I'm currently looking for internship opportunities. And I was hoping to get to talk to Mr. Agreste but my dress..." Sophie's face lit up as she shook Marinette's hand excitedly. 

"Well, you're lucky you ran into me Marinette! I brought my entire portfolio with me, including some dresses! Come on follow me!" Sophie took Marinette's hand and dragged her to the closet. Marinette looked over to the main area and got a glimpse of Gabriel. He was talking to someone, but she was almost sure he looked right at her for a second. Her heart rate increased significantly, and she hurried along with Sophie not looking any further. Not long after, Sophie had Marinette all fixed up in a rather eccentric design. 

"Wow Sophie... now this is just lovely." Marinette said hesitantly as she examined the many feathers that arrayed the chicken-like garment. 

"Where did you get such an interesting idea for your collection?" Marinette looked up with apprehension at the enthusiastic young designer. 

"I'm sorry Marinette but this was the only one I found that was in your size. It's part of one of my most ambitious projects yet. Feathered friend frolics. Mr. Agreste won't believe his eyes when he sees my masterpieces." 

"Oh, Mr. Agreste will definitely never unsee this." 

"I know right!" Sophie looked so genuine and excited and Marinette sighed. 

"I'm sorry Sophie but is there anything else I can try on?" Sophie looked away, 

"It's just like everyone else, I get it. Don't worry, Mr. Agreste will love my designs I can feel it." Marinette gave a little smile. 

"Don't give up on your dreams." She turned around to see Adrien with his jaw almost to the floor behind her and she shrieked. 

"Adrien?!" He looked too stunned to speak. 

"Marinette what are you doing here? Marinette backed away slightly and Sophie glanced between the two of them. There was something going on here but she interjected. 

"Oh hello Mr. Adrien, I'm surprised to see you haha, I mean I've only seen the magazines you know, but there's a lot at stake here for my new friend okay!" Adrien smiled and walked up to them, 

"Any way I can help?" He asked. Marinette cringed and couldn't even look him in the eye, 

"I wanted to see your father but my clumsiness got ahead of me." Adrien turned to see her juice-stained dress folded. 

"Wait just a moment, I have something that would look perfect on you." He said he left and then returned a few moments later with a beautiful red dress, It reminded her of Ladybug and she bit her lip. 

"It would look so pretty on you." He said, she took it and looked into his eyes resisting tears. 

"Thank you." She said and they gazed at each other for a moment, then she rushed into the restroom to change. Sophie was left alone with Adrien. 

"So... You two know each other?" Adrien nodded with a sad look on his face. 

"We were in school together, We both just graduated." Sophie nodded and then pulled out her phone, 

"Selfie!" 

"Wait..." Adrien interjected but she had already snapped the photo. Adrien sighed and turned to go. 

"Tell Marinette to find me okay." Sophie watched as he left, she was curious, something had definitely happened between the two of them and she had to find out. 

"Oki Doki!" She said. Marinette then emerged from the changing area in the new dress. Sophie's jaw almost landed on the floor. 

"Marinette is that even you?! You look amazing!" Her hair was curled and she had her makeup all fixed and the new dress was very flattering on her. She smiled, 

"Thank you Sophie, you don't think it's a bit too much do you?" Sophie face palmed, 

"Are you kidding me?! Every eye is gonna be drawn to you, including a very famous fashion designer." Sophie winked and Marinette tensed up, 

"You're getting ahead of yourself. It's not like Mr. Agreste is gonna come up to me or anything." Marinette walked back toward the party, she couldn't help but think of how this dress reminded her of Ladybug, no one was supposed to know that she was actually Ladybug herself. Luckily her curls and makeup hid the fact a bit. She approached the door and took a deep breath only to be startled by a deep voice behind her. 

"Allow me to get the door for you." She turned to find herself face to face with the fashion icon himself, Gabriel Agreste. 

The Internship is back! Thank you all for your patience during this hiatus. I'm gonna try and work on the story more often! What do you think will happen next?!?! Let me know your thoughts and theories. - Hannahsmithart