𝟏 - 𝐌𝐢𝐝𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

༺༻

   The scorching, midnight heat of the city that flowed through the apartment window left Duncan, the infamous delinquent that thought it was a bright idea to star on Chris McLean's reality television series a few years prior, sweating buckets in his poor excuse of a bed. He had removed all the covers and his shirt due to the heat, and his rickety box fan was flowing as much air as it could for crying out loud! He couldn't stand the wafting inferno much longer, springing up from his bed and making his way to the balcony. Maybe he just needed some fresh air.
     Duncan had grabbed his phone along the way, lazily scrolling through his socials and noticing how everyone he competed with was living their best lives; Courtney had finished law school, Bridgette made it on the “Totally Tubular Times” magazine, and, what caught his eye the most, was that Geoff was throwing a reunion party. He found himself almost surprised when he realized Geoff sent out specific invitations.
     Of course all the contestants kept up with each other after Chris's torment, but Duncan hadn't planned to actually face any of them in person. Looking back at the summer camps, he almost feels embarrassed for how into the fame and money he was, but at the same time, he isn't. He wasn't like Heather. That stuck up, fickle bitch, god he wanted to forget her, but he must admit, she was so smart for being so cruel.
     As Duncan reflected and reminisced on the times he hated so much, but loved at the same time, he recollected on Gwen, and Courtney. A part of him feels awful for throwing his sick heart in the gutter and "cheating" on Courtney like that, and so quickly too. However, he feels almost relieved. Courtney was intense; a bit too intense. Gwen was mellow, and Duncan could do mellow. He mentally punched himself in the face for fumbling so badly, but now that he doesn't have a chick wrapped his finger, he's care free.
     Coming to think of it, he had broken two hearts, Courtney's and Gwen's sweet, pathetic lover boy's: Trent. Sweeping up Gwen was so much easily than he thought it was, though Duncan almost envied how open Trent was with Gwen when they were together and how perfect he was for her, and how he basically ruined that for both of them. But he was better, and tougher than he was, right? That's why she favored Duncan, or that's why he thinks so. On the thought of Trent, he began to wonder where he was now. How was he doing? He probably still hates his guts, right? Had he moved on?
     A blanket of heat snapped Duncan out of his deep thought, and eventually pulled him to the conclusion that he needed to attend that party, no matter how much he hated everyone's dumb face. Looking over the invitation, it read that the party had started an hour ago. Guess he was going to be fashionably late, if you call 'fashionably late' a jacket, t-shirt and pair of khaki shorts.
     Duncan made sure to touch up on his face, keeping his piercings and wild mohawk in check while keeping his mild stumble down. He had added to the metal in his face, finally piercing his tongue and his bottom lip right down the middle.  He thought he looked like hot shit, so that's all that mattered. Now making a few ego-lifting faces, and poses for good measure, he ran out the door, stuffing his pockets with a half-full packet of cigarettes, his phone and a lighter.
     The time now read 12:37, and the party had started at ten on the dot, yet Duncan wasn't in any hurry. The party ended at two in the morning, no need to be in a rush.
      He walked along the sidewalk with a dimly-lit cigarette poking out the corner of his lips, not having to think about directions to the party since he's been all around town multiple times, and all his fellow competition somehow remained in one place. It surprises him when someone will shout his name across the street, only to stare at the familiar face that lives next door and flip them off. His day would be completely ruined, if it wasn't ruined enough, after that.
     Having not thought about the heat, Duncan shucked off his jacket and threw it atop one of the dumpsters he planned to dive into later, keeping a mental note to pick it up. However, he knew he'd forget like he did with the other shirts and jackets he threw near the dumpsters, or anywhere for that matter. He replaced the mental note he wrote for himself with the thought of stopping by the mall to purchase a new jacket some time after the party.
     Now approaching what appeared to be Geoff's apartment complex, he took the cigarette between two fingers and dropped it onto the concrete before stomping the flame out of it with a small smirk. Feeling the cigarette crush and die under his feet filled him with a child-like sense of pride. Wow, he killed something, that's totally a first. How proud of me are you, mom? Fucking stupid.
     Duncan analysed the exterior, and it looked quite nice, and big. He quickly found where the party was located, now seeing a window blaring with flashing colors. A part of him thinks maybe this party won't blow after all, but another part of him thinking this is going to be the worst night of his life.
     Exhaling a deep gust of wind out of his pierced nose with signature furrowed brows, Duncan punched his fists into his short's pocket before stepping up to the door. He swung the front door open, looking around before making eye contact with the lady at the front.
     She was lounged back, hair pulled into a low, brunette pony tail and previously taking some down time, though she now wore an astonished look. Of course she was wondering why some punk, who she's never seen before, was at the front past midnight. Duncan could only smirk, making his way to the bewildered woman.
     “Hey, my buddy's throwing some party here and I was practically forced to come so,” stated Duncan with a sigh, watching as the woman's face softened as he leaned against his knuckle. “Spit out the apartment number pronto, honey. I need to get this shit over with, you feel me?” He was going to approach this party with a negative mindset, no matter if Geoff, himself or hell, this woman cared one bit.
     “Well, honey,” The woman began with an unamused expression, and Duncan couldn't hell but grin harder. “You'll need to give me your buddy's name. I don't know everything, jackass,” She has a point.
     “Yeah yeah, whatever, his name is Geoff. You've probably seen him; tall, blondey, total lady killer,” Duncan mused with his hands, cracking a smile through the woman's lips. His vague description must've been enough since the woman was already clicking away at her computer. A spark in her eyes were the immediate give away she found him.
     “He's in room 308, third hall on the right,” She lounged back in her chair again, eyeing Duncan before directing where he needed to go with her bright eyes. “And you said he's throwing a party, right? Shouldn't be hard to find if this guy keeps his music loud. These walls are paper thin,”  She said as she nitpicked at her nails.
     “Thanks uh,” Duncan began as he eyed the woman's name tag that was clipped to their chest, “Avery, thanks for your incredible service,” he snickered before making his way to Geoff's apartment. Damn, that woman must be so ready to go home after that interaction.
     The number of Geoff's room kept playing through his head:
room 308... room 308... room 308... Trent. Duncan hated to admit it but he was really curious, and was kinda hoping, that Trent would be at present. Sure it seems stupid, but Trent is one of the few people Duncan can tolerate. Hell, he's probably one of the few people Duncan will actually talk to at this party if he's being honest.
     Duncan had been searching for about 10 minutes now, almost losing hope and turning back home, but when the sound of 2016's beats and familiar voices became closer and closer with every step he took, he knew he was close. As he trailed closer, he grew a bit more nervous. It wasn't normal for him, of all people, to be nervous, but something about this "reunion," if you could even call it that, was worrying and leaving Duncan with a sense of dread. Was it the people? Was he envious of everyone's success after Total Drama? Was he afraid to look at his exs' faces? Whatever it was, it was making him dread this party more.

     Once Duncan had finally approached the door, he took a deep breath, trying to calm himself despite the loud music and conversation blaring behind the door. He brought his fist up to the door and gave it a generous knock, moments after hearing heavy footsteps rapidly approaching the door. Goddamm, who was running? It's not like Duncan was going anyway, well not yet anyway. Before he knew it, the door was opening, and the colorful lights, loud music, and the voices he wished to never hear again punched him in the face, and he was met with a familiar cheery face and open arms...

༺༻
Author's Note
Hello! I'm sorry this first chapter is kinda short, I plan to make the second longer since I have a lot more planned. Your feedback, questions, and assumptions are greatly appreciated! <3