X - Fashion

Fashion, put all on me,
I am anyone you want me to be
- Lady Gaga

Valeria offered to tag along in order to 'actually get me a dress in time'. We went to a handful of high-end boutiques that she sees the richer folk wearing sometimes, but I found myself out of place in every dress I wore.

"I have one last store in mind," she tells me, and I exchange glances with Jason. The Dobermans walk around us, watching every stranger like hawks.

"What if there are no dresses that I like there?"

"It won't come to that, I promise."

We pass an alley where a few druggies loiter. I'm not sure if it's the dogs, Jason or both. Maybe even I deter them from bothering us a little. I notice Jason looking at them with both disgust and oddly, a glint of nostalgia in his eyes.

I tell the dogs to wait outside before we go into the store. The dresses inside are exquisite and I can tell Jason thinks so too.

"Anything catch your eye yet?"

I look around the store. The cashier is a red-haired lady with rose gold glasses and an abundance of freckles, but she makes it work with warm brown eyes. She doesn't look dangerous. There is only one visible exit unless you count the windows, but I don't feel like smashing glass.

"Dresses," Val adds once she notices the silence.

"Yeah, uhm... that one?" I point to a dress in the corner and her eyes widen. Even Jason's lip curls.

"Simple. I like it," he says.

[Dress in comments] --->

***

After buying the dress, Val went to work, and we drove to the airport to pick up Max. The drive was quiet, but we glanced at each other every minute.

"Do you have a suit?"

"I have many," he replies. My gaze drifts to his hands as they lightly grip the steering wheel. It's not the first time I've noticed he has nice hands.

"Right. Forget you're rich sometimes."

He snorts, "I do too."

When we pull up to the airport, Maxine is already waiting for us with a single suitcase beside her. She puts her things in the boot and sits in the back.

"I hate America," Max huffs. "It's terrible. Everyone is so self-centred they're blind. I watched three people get pickpocketed. Three!"

"It's not all bad," Jason tries.

"It really is, mate," she snaps.

I pinch the bridge of my nose and sigh. "Jason, meet my little sister Max. Max, meet my boyfriend Jason."

There's a short silence.

"Boyfriend?"

"Yes. Therefore, you cannot stab him."

"Drongo."

"Ankle biter."

She inhales like she's offended. "You're not a true blue-"

"You deadset FUCKING ESHAY."

"Awh, piss off."

Jason clears his throat, glancing at us in the mirror. "I did not understand a single word either of you just said, but, I would like to ask Maxine if she would want to go to the gala tonight."

"I think I've got a dress. I'll go."

"To make fun of rich people?"

"Fuck yeah, drongo."

"Bogan."

/

So this one is really short because A) School, B) It's like 30 degrees and I don't like it, C) the air is full of smoke n shit cause there's some fires in my area. Next one will be longer but I dunno when that'll be.

Honestly I think we're in for one hell of a summer (pun intended)