chapter 1

[song recs for the chapter: "K." by cigarettes after sex; "lolita" by lana del rey; "the world we knew" by frank sinatra]

"Hurry up! The uber is going to be here any minute!" I yell at Iris, my best friend since forever, who is touching up her make up. I take a glance of myself in the mirror and take in my appearance, from my slightly wavey hair to the long, black, and skin tight bodycon dress that hugs every curve in my body.

"I cannot believe we are doing this," Irie sighs as she puts her lip gloss on then looks towards me, "but, I have been wanting to go to this club for so long and you never wanted to come with me. So, a fair trade." She sends me a wink and I chuckle.

"After two weeks of being sad over an ugly cheater, we are starting fresh. If this makes you happy, I will suck it up and try to have a good time." Supporting my best friend and her interesting taste, I say while feeling a vibration from my purse. "Time to go! Uber is outside."

"I cannot believe you got us tickets for the Noir Chamber." Iris whines to me while pouting. I knew, even for me, this was probably the last thing I would have gotten us into. I am quite a "vanilla"-esque person, as all my partners have been in the past as well.

We go into our Uber then time passes as we head towards the nightclub.

The Noir Chamber is an upscale, classy, and elegant BDSM nightclub. It's definitely the number one classy fetish bar in all of Portland. Not a usual place for vanilla people like myself, but anything for my best friend who is a lot more interesting than me. Most of my anxiety really comes from the unknown of what lies ahead.

"Tonight–we are celebrating the start of new beginnings!" As nervousness creeps up in my chest, I push it down and let a smile take its place on my lips. New beginnings; a way to start fresh and rewrite our story once more. How delectable of a thought to be able to be who we want to be. Not me.

After all my failed attempts at "new beginning" adventures, I have decided to stay the same, old Hanako that is never changing. Maybe this was who I was really meant to be, my boring old self who watches reruns of vampire diaries and knits on Friday evenings. Though I do have the time of my life, sometimes I yearn for something more. Maybe it's my past life talking or my story for my future next life.

"Now, let's get this party started and go in before I change my mind and go back to learning my Herringbone stitch." Taking a deep breath in, I grab her hand and walk into the club. Even just walking into the entrance, a seductive red and black interior sets the mood and tone for the nightclub.

"Good evening ladies, I take it you have your tickets for this evening?" The bouncer/concierge man asks us, as I pull out my phone to show the confirmation of reservation for this fetish fantasy of a place. To make the place a safe space and sophisticated, they only take reservations with their ungodly fee to pay. But, since I know Irie, I knew she would love this place. She doesn't talk much about her pleasures, but also being her roommate, sometimes I see and hear way too much...

We walk off as the concierge/bouncer wishes us a great evening and to 'enjoy ourselves'. The dim lights set the ambiance of a flirty and seductive tone for the night. Right before the end of the hallway, another employee is carrying a box.

"Good evening, here are some masquerade mask for the night. It is just as a identity precaution for some. Enjoy your evening." She says softly with a mysterious tone to her voice. Now this, this is completely new. Iris looked at me and chuckled at this new experience and puts on her lattice-formed mask. I put on my satin-esque mask and look at her to give me the go ahead to push away the curtain to enter the club. Iris nods and we head in.

It was unlike any nightclub or bar I have ever been to. An alluring tone fills the air as I take in the red lights black furniture and candles filling the corners. There are two poles currently being occupied in the middle of each side and an expansive bar in the middle – perfect. There is an array of people around in sultry and erotic elegant outfits.