Chapter III

Back in the stall, Ms. Chu swiftly retreated further into the depths of their makeshift setup, a sense of urgency compelling her to summon Somun for assistance in capturing the evil spirit. Her fingers moved with purpose as she dialed his number, the phone ringing out with an impatient urgency. With the device pressed to her ear, she stood poised, her anticipation building as she awaited the younger Counter's response.

Outside the dimly lit warehouse, Somun's phone suddenly erupted with Ms. Chu's caller ID flashing on its screen. It lay forgotten on the backseat of the car, where it had fallen when he hurriedly exited the car. The ringtone persisted relentlessly until it finally ceased, coincidentally just in time for Ungmin and Juyeon to emerge from the warehouse. They emerged into the exit, laughter bubbling from their lips, relishing a rare moment where they had managed to outpace Somun.

Their hearty laughter paused momentarily as they took a breather, gasping for air, and then resumed as they continued their dash toward the car. But as they reached the car and turned to see if Somun had made it to the exit, they were met with the surprise of his voice approaching from behind.

"Yah! Why did the two of you run?" Somun called out, his voice filled with playful irritation, all while he effortlessly carried a container filled with garnishes.

What caught Ungmin and Juyeon was that Somun didn't even appear the least bit out of breath, his superhuman abilities allowing him to keep up with ease. Inwardly, they couldn't help but grumble about the unfairness of those supernatural powers that Somun possessed.

"Damn those superpowers," they both thought, secretly envious as they exchanged knowing glances.

Following their half-hearted apologies, Somun efficiently loaded the container of garnishes into the trunk of the car, which was discreetly parked at the rear of the warehouse, still scolding them for leaving him behind.  When he began to make his way toward the driver's door, he was abruptly halted in his tracks when Juyeon swiftly yanked him backward. Her grip firmly anchored on the hood of his jacket; she met his gaze with an expression that eerily mirrored the stern expression of Ms. Chu when she was on the verge of delivering one of her lectures – usually reserved for Motak's daring escapades during missions. Somun was on the brink of questioning the reason behind Juyeon's disapproving expression when she swiftly interjected.

"You do realize you still can't drive, right? As far as we know, gaining instant driving skills isn't part of your superpowers." she said, her tone laced with pragmatism. Ungmin nodded in accord, reinforcing her point with a knowing look. Somun released a sigh of mild exasperation, attempting to plead his case with his friends.

"Come on, just one time behind the wheel, and I promise I'll get better at it. It's all about practice, right?" He implored, however, his plea was met with synchronized, unwavering headshakes from both Juyeon and Ungmin, leaving him with no room for negotiation.

As Somun prepared to make another appeal, the sudden sound of his ringing phone interrupted him. He initially looked around in confusion, trying to pinpoint the source of the ringing, until Ungmin directed his attention to the backseat, pointing out that it was his phone. Somun squinted through the car window, attempting to discern the caller ID. Upon recognizing that it was Ms. Chu calling, he wasted no time. He hastily opened the backseat door and snatched up his phone. With a sense of urgency, he answered.

“Chu sang-nim, what's going on?" he said, his voice laced with concern.

On the other end of the line, Ms. Chu's voice carried a tone of gravity as she informed Somun, "We've stumbled upon an evil spirit here in the park. Come back immediately, Somun-a."