•Now you rest.

III. Now you rest.

Maude and Tommy were in their bathroom. Tommy was sat on the dge of the bathtub, stripped from his bloody shirt as Maude cleaned him with a cloth, wiping away all traces of blood from his face.

"They were right under our noses, Tommy." She muttered softly as she rinsed out the clothe before wiping his face clean again. "Right where our fucking children sleep."

"He's dead now." Tommy assured her softly as he reached out, resting his hands on her hips. "No one will harm our children." He assured her with a firm shake of his head. "No one, sweetheart." he repeated firmly.

Maude silently stared down at him for a second before shaking her head with a sigh. "I can't believe a word you say when you speak of safety while covered in this much blood." She muttered as she motioned towards his face that was still stained with a lot of blood.

Tommy stood up, looking down at his wife as his hands firmly gripped her hips. "Sweetheart, nothing will happen to them or you." He said, his voice soft yet firm. "I promise you." he said, giving her hips a squeeze.

Her eyebrows furrowed as she stared up at him, reaching out to cup his bloody cheek. "And what about you, Tommy?" She asked softly as her head tilted to the side.

Tommy was silent for a second as his haze diverted down to the floor. "I can't make you that promise." he whispered as he slowly shook his head.

Maude inhaled sharply as she stared at him with saddened eyes, a frown tugging at her lips. There was silince between them as she continued cleaning him up. While Tommy went to talk with Johnny Doggs, Maude waited in the drawing room.

She sat by the desk, her face somber as she drank a glass of whiskey. She looked up when Tommy entered the room and she raised her eyebrows. "When do we leave?" She asked softly.

"Soon as possible." he replied as he approached her and she poured him a glass of whiskey, holding it out to him. "We'll pack the bags and then get the children." he instructed as he accepted the glass from her.

Maude glanced at the Christmas tree for a second before turning to tommy with raised eyebrows. "What of Christmas?" She questioned as her head tilted to the side.

Tommy finished the whiskey in one gulp before looking at the three. "We'll take their gifts with, they can open them there." he replied before grabbing the whiskey bottle and pouring himself another glass.

"I assume Christmas dinner is off." Maude mused, although the amusement didn't reach her eyes and it was barely there in her voice.

"The four of us can have something." He suggested as he looked down at her, hating the dissapointed look she had in her eyes. Maude always tried to make Holidays special for the children, and he hated knowing she couldn't give them a special Christmas this year. He hated knowing both she and their children were in danger.

She silently stared at him, carefully taking in his words. She slowly nodded her head as she pursed her lips. "You're going back to Small Heath but not your family, ey?" She questioned as she quirked an eyebrow.

Tommy's gaze diverted down to the floor. He was silent and motionless for a second before h finished his whiskey and placed the glass down on the table. "I'll get Frances to pack our bags." he muttered as he turned around and walked out of the room.

Maude stayed in the drawing room for a few minutes before leaving, following the sound of Tommy's voice. He was in his study, talking on the phone. She stood by the door, crossing her arms over her chest as she stared at him, catching the end of his conversation.