Chapter Twenty Three

The stillness of the morning air was shattered by the collective gasp that echoed through the camp. Whitestorm lay motionless just outside the gorse tunnel. Shadowheart's eyes widened. He stood over the body and gasped in shock.

"What happened?" Hissed Dustpelt as he padded up the ravine and saw Shadowheart standing over a lifeless body.

"I-I don't know." He stuttered. His eyes still wide with fear.

Dustpelt yowled to the Clan below and cats came running up the ravine. Gasped of horror struck through the crowd as they stood around Shadowheart and the lifeless body of Whitestorm. Firestar got to the front and stared, not knowing what to say. Then finally he spoke, his voice stern with anger. "Tigerstar probably did this." He paused for a soft sigh. "Let's bring him inside camp so we can say vigil before we bury him."

The elders brought down the body and set him in the middle of the clearing. Shadowheart followed behind them and let others before him say their last goodbyes. When it was his turn, he padded up to him and closed his eyes. We may not have spoken much, my friend, but you were admired by me. He opened his eyes and touched his forehead to his cold belly. It was stiff. He closed his eyes again and shedded a small tear for his old friend. Then he reopened them and took a step back. 

"What happened?" It was Waterlily. Her voice wavered with shock and concern.

"No one knows." Replied Firestar, padding out into the clearing. "I believe Tigerstar has something to do with this." He whispered in her ear. 

Waterlily gasped, then turned her head toward Firestar. "Why do you think that?"

"He's killed deputies before, remember?" His voice got a little louder.

"I remember," she looked down at her paws, then she looked back up at Firestar. "But why would he kill a deputy when he's already leader of another Clan?"

Shadowheart froze, his eyes widened. Was she thinking it was someone else? Who would want to kill Whitestorm?

Waterlily padded up to Whitestorm and laid down next to him. Shadowheart watched as she buried her face into his fur. It pained him to watch, but he couldn't look away. He felt a sudden chill run down his spine as his thoughts continued to darken. He laid his ears flat on his head and narrowed his eyes.

"Are you alright?" It was Sandstorm. Her voice was filled with curiosity and in a hushed whisper.

Shadowheart almost jumped from her sudden presence, then nodded his head slowly. He softly cleared his throat then meowed in a rather horse tone, "of course." He looked down at his paws. He didn't want to talk about the death of Whitestorm. "Have you said goodbye to him yet?" He prodded, hoping she was just waiting for her turn.

"I have." Came the unsatisfying answer. Shadowheart sighed. What did she want? He glanced over at her, his eyes showing no signs of emotions. Before he could reply, she continued. "I just wanted to make sure you were okay, is all." Then padded over to Firestar who was waiting his turn a few tail lengths behind Waterlily.

Shadowheart was glad to be left alone again. When it was Firestar's turn, everyone watched in silence, waiting for him to say something on what to do next, as if they could all feel him wanting revenge on Tigerstar. Shadowheart waited as well, wondering if he would be appoint a new deputy. Then his mind began wondering who would be deputy. For sure he would choose his own mate. Who else could he trust now that Tigerstar wants to make Firestar suffer? Shadowheart shook his head to clear it. That was not for him to decide, it was Firestar's. 

Shadowheart had no intentions on wanting to be leader. Firestar seemed stressed half the time, and when Bluestar was leader, she was in her den all of the time. That couldn't be fun. 

"For now, we will bury him and carry on like it's a normal day." He lifted head head with a heavy heart. "Whitestorm had already made arrangements for today last night. Sandstorm, Mousefur, and Longtail. You will be taking the next shift for border patrol." He paused for a moment, then continued. "Dustpelt, Frostfur and Graystripe, you will take on the night's border patrol." He paused again, as if thinking who should stay in camp and who should go out hunting. "Cloudtail, Brackenfur and Shadowheart, you may hunt as much as possible today. The rest, I would like to stay in camp so we can have some warriors to defend us in case something else comes up."

Shadowheart rose to his feet. He was glad to be picked to go out hunting. He didn't want to stay in camp all day. It was too boring. 

***

The night sky took over the sky. Clouds lay softly beneath the fainted pink hues that danced around the setting sun. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the highrock for a Clan meeting." Called Firestar.

Shadowheart dropped the last piece of prey into the fresh-kill pile and padded over to the middle of the clearing. Many other warriors were already gathering as Shadowheart sat down. Graystripe padded up beside him drooped his shoulders as he sat down. Shadowheart glanced over at him, then he quickly looked back up at Firestar.

"I say these words before StarClan, so that the spirits of Whitestorm, may hear and approve of my choice. The new deputy of ThunderClan is..." Firestar paused for a moment, then looked up and glanced around the crowd of cats. His eyes stopped on his dear friend. "Graystripe."

Graystripe widened his eyes in dismay, then bowed his head in return. "I would be honored." His eyes then clouded. Shadowheart wondered if the gray warrior didn't really want to be deputy, or if he was still grieving over his friend, Whitestorm. He looked back down at his paws. It was not his concern. He still wanted to know who had killed Whitestorm.