2.

before he knew it, eddie had found himself in a college bar in l.a with beverly marsh and her college friends.

ben, who eddie was ninety-nine percent sure that bev had a thing for, went to usc and so did most of the friends that beverly had brought.

mike went to fidm with beverly. he was tall and spoke softly, a slight southern accent on his tongue. eddie thought mike had the prettiest brown eyes that he'd ever seen.

bill had brown hair and a stutter, though you got used to it as he spoke, and soon could barely notice it at all. eddie didn't even react when it jumped out as bill started to get enthralled in conversation.

stan had brought a book with him, and was the only one among the group who didn't have a fake id.

and then there was richie.

richie had bright blue eyes and smelt like cigarette smoke and black ice. he was charming, and loud, and clearly obnoxious; but something about him pulled eddie in.

so eddie decided to ignore everything that he said.

not outright, of course. eddie didn't want to come off as rude, he didn't want to be perceived by these people who he didn't know.

eddie knew that beverly had clued them in about his mother. he had overheard her on the phone with one of them before they left his house two days prior, briefing them on the situation and to not be surprised if he acted vacant.

"eddie, can we get you something to drink? a coke or something?" bill said, breaking away from the conversation, and speaking for the group. bev had told them that eddie couldn't drink because of the medication he takes. eddie shook his head slightly, motioning to the glass of water that he had in front of him.

"oh, no. no, i'm alright. thank you so much though." eddie smiled, unsure of whether it was genuine or for show. bill mirrored him with a nod, and rejoined the conversation.

"you alright?" bev asked him, not loudly enough to draw attention to it.

"yeah, i think i just need to get some air. could i step out?" the air around eddie felt stagnant and warm, and he just felt like he couldn't breathe.

"yeah, yeah of course. do you want me to come with?"

"no! stay with your friends! i won't be long. just, a little overwhelmed." bev nodded at his words, watching as eddie scooted out of the booth that they were sat in.

eddie found his way to the door, letting it swing open and feeling the outside air hit him, refreshed by it even if it was warm.

he could feel his entire body rattling, a vigorous shake jolting him about. he felt like he might just be sick right there on the sidewalk. as silly as it was, eddie really felt like his bones ached with how much he wanted to take the pills.

he'd taken one specifically twice a day, and then more if he ever felt anxious, for years. the sudden change of not taking medication the moment he felt anxious caused him to itch.

eddie was itching so badly, in fact, that he didn't even pay attention to the sound of the door opening behind him.

"so, is this your first time in la?" a voice called from behind him, causing eddie to jump.

he turned around quickly to meet the voice.

richie stood in front of him, an unlit cigarette between his lips. eddie didn't speak, he just stool silently and watched as richie grew closer

eddie nodded.

"how are you liking it?" richies expression stayed blank, like he really didn't care about what eddie had to say.