It Was A Compliment:

Merle POV:

I climb into the little 90s Ford, rolling my eyes at the screaming music blaring from the speakers. I'm wishing I was wearing earmuffs instead of the fedora that Opal had given me jokingly at the start of summer; she claimed it was so I wouldn't sunburn my head, since I shaved it all the time, but I've worn the hat ever since regardless.

"Really, Ope?" I yell over the music as Opal drives us out of Woodbury and far away, going on a scavenging trip.

Well, the Governor thinks we're going scavenging. But we're not. Opal and I don't always see eye to eye (ever), but she and I both made a pact after the Governor picked our asses off the streets of Atlanta: when we get the chance, we leave together.

Opal could tell right away the Governor was a piece of shit. I never trust people anyway, only trust Opal because she kept me alive for the five days we roamed Atlanta until the Governor found us, but it didn't take me long to figure out that Philip was a piece of shit.

I've had to kill a lot of people and be more of an ass than I normally am, but after all this time, I managed to become Philip's right hand man. Damn, well I guess he's more my right hand and I'm his left hand since I don't have a right hand...

When I was with a small group tracking down that mute samurai girl, I stumbled across the Asian kid from the Atlanta group. He refused to take me to my brother but said he'd have him come there and meet me.

At first, I wanted to just kill him and his girl or kidnap them, but I decided to agree to three days from then. Which is today. I also told them about the mute that I knew was hiding behind some trash nearby and grumbled a half-assed apology for shooting her in the leg.

Well, more like I said, "Could've killed ye. Hit ye in the leg on purpose. Barely grazed ye. I lost my hand, not my aim."

Regardless, Opal and I decided this would be the perfect time to escape after I told her about running into Glenn.

She was excited, I could tell. Especially since she even hugged me before I left her apartment last night. She decked me onto my ass the last time I tried to side hug her. So her hugging me shocked the shit outta me. And it made me feel them damn warm and fuzzies that made me mad at myself.

I shouldn't feel that way f'r no one. Especially a woman as young as she is and as beautiful. She don't need my ass. Deserves someone good and sweet. Hell, even my baby brother would be able to give her the affection she deserves better than I probably ever could. Even if he is a shy mess when it comes to pretty women. And she sure as shit is a mighty beautiful woman.

"Is this shit necessary?" I yelled over the music again, seeing as we were now over a mile from the damn town.

Opal rolled her amber eyes but turned the noise down to where I could hear myself think.

"Earshot is fucking awesome, schön!" she exclaimed with her typical playful sass.

I rolled my eyes at her, "You know I still can't speak French, sweet stuff."

"That was German, du unverblümter, hübscher Idiot," the last part she mumbled.

"Well I know what idiot means, Pincushion," I grumbled, earning a laugh from the cute young woman. I smirked, "Beautiful laugh as always, Ope. Take a turn up here, the grocery store we're to meet at should be up ahead."

Opal's POV:

I never know if his flirting is serious or if it's just Merle being Merle, hence why I always say things to him in French or German since I know the redneck only knows English and a tad bit of Spanish.