𝗼𝗻𝗲.

LEMONS CAKE
1. Offered

Upon arriving at the Waterford estate, the laughters of children grew louder with each step the handmaid took towards the stairs

Upon arriving at the Waterford estate, the laughters of children grew louder with each step the handmaid took towards the stairs. The household already had two children. Two beautiful daughters. Yet they didn't belong to the Commander and his wife. They belonged to his niece and their driver.

As soon as the front door opened, two girls - around the age of four - ran past the woman in red and towards the gate. Both of them had reddish brown hair. And while the first ones were curly, the second ones were straight. Their pink dresses flying behind them as they ran past her. The handmaid allowed herself to look after the girls for a second, before a voice echoed past her.

"Willow. Wylie." Quickly the handmaid turned back around to find a young woman in blue standing in front of her. The woman looked to be in her early 20's. She lowered her head so that the wings covered her face. "Under his eye.", she greeted her. "Under his eye.", the woman replied. "I'm sorry. When the girls heard the gate open, they thought their father and the commander were coming back home."

The kindness took the handmaid by surprise. The previous commander and his wife, and even the aunt at the red center hadn't been so kind towards her. "I'm Clara, btw." A hand appeared under her wings. This is a test. It has to be, the handmaid thought to herself, forcing herself to refuse the handshake. Causing the woman to awkwardly pull back her hand, before turning her attention toward the guardian that was busy with the girls as he was still standing by the gate which they had run to.

"Mrs. Waterford's in the living room. You shouldn't keep her waiting much longer." The kindness of the woman had vanished and had switched places with a wife. Of course she had been to good to be true. The handmaid stepped aside as the young wife rushed passed her before disappearing with the girls inside the house once more.

🌙🌙🌙

A smile appeared on Rita's lips as Clara entered the kitchen with her girls. She adored the twins with all her heart, and they adored her. To them she was their precious aunt Rita. Watching her in awe when she made bread while their eyes were fixed on the flour flying trough the air as if it was snow.

"Rita.", the girls called her name in a union. Causing the Marta to smile even more. Clara walks passed her, slightly squeezing her left arm. "Your father still not home?", she wondered. "No?", Wylie replied. "Only some strange woman in red.", Willow added. Stranger. That was the name the twins had given the previous handmaid. While Rita was part of the family, to them the handmaids were not. They were intruders.

The previous handmaid had been mean to the twins. Hitting them, when she thought no one was watching. But of course it didn't take long for the driver, Clara's husband, to catch her doing it, who told his wife and the commander. The handmaid was removed from the household. No one knew what happened to her afterwards.