An Unusual Re-Quest

Author's note:

This story happens between The Lighting Thief and The Sea of Monsters

AND THERE I WAS. Submerged in a tank full of fish inside a Boeing in a trip to Brazil.

Let me explain this strange situation: My name is Percy Jackson; I am a 13 year old New Yorker who had discovered I was Poseidon's son, God of the Sea. Last summer I went to a special summer camp, a.k.a., Half Blood Camp, where I learned I had the ability to control water and its inhabitants, kind of.

Anyway, cool powers and all wouldn't compensate for the innumerous problems and dangers my friends and I went through to save the western civilization from World War III. If it were not for Grover, Annabeth, and yours truly the world would be ashes at this very moment as I am floating with some Blueback Herring fish.

It was spring break and I would have a week off with my mother and Tyson. I invited him, since I have noticed he would be at Merither College Prep by himself.

I could notice Tyson was excited about leaving school and meeting my mother. After I told him about my mother's blue cake and the cabin by the beach in Montauk, it was all he could talk about.

"Blue sea, blue cakes, blue mother." He laughed every time with the word blue.

"Yes, big guy. My mom is happy too for sure." She was in College and she would also have her spring break. Funny thought of you and you mother having the same school vacations.

When we arrived in the apartment, there was a note on the door.

TEST UNTIL 10 P.M. THERE'S FOOD IN THE FRIDGE AND CLEAN SHEETS IN THE BEDROOM. LOVE, MOM.

As soon as we entered, Tyson went to the bathroom to take a shower. I guessed he wanted to get rid of the smell of school. I was in the kitchen preparing our snacks when I heard somebody knocking at the door. For my surprise, it was Chiron and Annabeth.

"Hello, Percy! How have you been?"

"Chiron, Annabeth! Ahhh..." I was a little speechless with this unexpected visit. "Hello?"

"Come on, seaweed brain. Let us in." Annabeth wasted no time in being practical.

Chiron is my teacher at Half Blood Camp, and he is also a Centaur. Like, he is human from his waist up, but with a body of a horse from the waist down. At this moment he was in his 'civilian' appearance as Mr. Brunner in his wheelchair. He was wearing his classic frayed jacket.

"Who's in the shower, Percy?" Chiron asked calmly.

"A friend from school. He's gonna spend a few days with me and my mom."

"Your mother isn't here, is she?" Annabeth asked while scanning the living room with her gray eyes. She was wearing a blue coat, blue jeans, and blue sneakers. This was a very unusual outfit for Annabeth. Actually, these colors made me feel at ease, since I was fond of the colors of the sea. It was as if she was dressed like this on purpose.

"No, she's at the University taking a test."

"It is better this way. It would be difficult to explain to Sally the situation."

"What situation, Chiron?"

"Percy, we need, well, I need you to go to Brazil to solve a situation that has been happening. You see, I have a friend who lives there and she needs assistance."

Before I had the chance to say anything about, Annabeth took the lead.

"Grover is in Brazil right now. In his quest for Pan, he encountered Chiron's old friend, Iara."

"Who's Iara?" I asked

"Percy, Iara is a water nymph who lives in the Brazilian rivers, mostly in the Amazon."

"You would know that if you had paid more attention to foreign myths." Annabeth said it with a sleek smile.

"So, what's the problem with her?"

"Her daughter, Irani, is missing. She can't find her. She needs our help, Percy." Chiron said.

"Ok, Chiron. But why me? Is this a quest?

"Percy, Iara and Irani are both water nymphs. You, as the son of the Sea God, are our best option. They are your distant cousins."

It was then that it hit me. Chiron wasn't sending me in a quest. He was asking for a personal favor.

"Iara is your..."

"Was, Percy. She was my wife and Irani is my daughter. I only discovered this disturbing fact a few days ago.

'Disturbing', was this the best word anybody from Mount Olympus would say everytime they found out about a son, a daughter? I imagined what words Poseidon yelled when I was born.

"Are you coming too, Annabeth?"

She shook her head negatively. Why did I bother asking.

"This is extra-official business. Only the three of us know about this. Only you can go, Percy. You will have a few days before people notice you're gone." Chiron made that clear.

"How am I going to South America to save your daughter and get back in a few days? You know I can't take a plane. Zeus would blow me to pieces in the sky. Not to mention my mother and Tyson."

"We have all of that taken care of." Annabeth said.

Of course, you have. I thought to myself not too happy about it. Annabeth is the daughter of Athena, Goddess of wisdom and strategy. She always has a plan. I realized then she was dressing blue to make me feel less miserable, not happy.